Coordinating Editor, Duke Press
Duke University Press is seeking a part-time Managing Editor to work closely with the Academic Editor of JHPPL for 30 hours of work per week, to ensure the scholarly quality of journal issues and smooth functioning of the journal’s editorial office. JHPPL’s Managing Editor oversees the peer-review process for articles and ensures that articles are in good order for production. The Managing Editor prepares editorial reports for the Academic Editor and Editorial Team, as well as conducts citation analyses and advises the Academic Editor about content choices. JHPPL’s Managing Editor has solid editorial experience and excellent project management skills, demonstrates the ability to make decisions and solve problems independently, and shows a commitment to continuous learning. If interested in this part-time position please submit the University-required electronic application, including your résumé and cover letter, before close of the position at Noon on Wednesday, May 22, 2019. This position is eligible for prorated Duke University benefits.
- Evaluate manuscripts that are submitted for publication. Provide instructions to authors for finalizing articles by providing guidance on editorial style, especially reference style; submitting artwork and tables per the Publisher’s standards; and providing necessary permissions for copyrighted material.
- Correspond with authors and members of the journal’s Editorial Team to respond to questions.
- Meet deadlines in the production schedule set by the Publisher.
- Submit manuscripts with all necessary components (electronic files, art, permissions, publication agreements, etc.) in good order to the Publisher.
- Collaborate with production staff at the Publisher in solving scheduling issues and the presentation of complex textual and visual materials in the journal.
- Manage logistics for multiple projects and priorities. Develop and oversee procedures, methodologies, and internal schedules for project management at the journal’s editorial office. Track all of the components of issues (manuscripts, art, permissions, publication agreements, etc.), ensuring that deadlines are met.
- Manage page allotments for journal volumes.
- Manage peer-review process for journal, using online peer-review system. Train Academic Editor and members of the Editorial Team in the use of the system. Analyze acceptance rate. Advise academic editor(s) about the flow of accepted articles as well as the system’s details and capabilities.
- Advise authors about rights and permissions issues, including requirements for digital rights. Review permissions documentation to ensure that the rights and permissions granted are acceptable to the Publisher.
- Prepare regular editorial reports for distribution to Academic Editor and Editorial Team, providing information on the progress of articles and issues in process. Detail areas of concern. Analyze trends in article submissions.
- Conduct citation analyses of articles in the journal. Make recommendations to Academic Editor about content choices and Impact Factor.
- Organize and travel to editorial board meeting at annual conference.
- Collaborate with Academic Editor and marketing department at the Publisher on developing ideas and strategies for promoting the journal.
- Advise journal’s Social Media Editor in best practices and strategy for using social media channels.
- Complete special projects to create efficiencies, solve problems, etc.
- Attend professional conferences and participate in meetings at the Press to improve understanding of scholarly publishing and the Press's operations as well as to share information. Make presentations and write blog postings as requested.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Duke Entity UNIVERSITY
Job Family Level 10
Full Time / Part Time PART TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communication, analytical, and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of a Bachelor's degree. Master's degree preferred.
Work generally requires at least one year of editorial or production experience in a publishing or related setting.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE