Assistant Director, Technical Operations
Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation:
Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (“DAPER”) is the premier intercollegiate athletic program in the country. We are the proud Home of Champions! We lead the nation with 120 NCAA championship titles, completed an unpresented sweep of both the men’s and women’s Capital One Cups, and brought home the Learfield Director’s Cup for 24 straight years. We support nearly 900 student-athletes who compete on 36 intercollegiate athletics teams and also support the university’s physical education, recreation and wellness initiatives. Our dedicated staff embody a culture of excellence, embrace our mission of scholar-athleticism and exemplify a relentless championship spirit. Our actions and staff are guided by the core tenets of the Athletics Department culture, “The DAPER Way”, which are: Embrace Scholar-Athleticism, Pursue and Revere Excellence, Lead with Courage, and Work Cohesively.
Are you ready to inspire champions? If yes, then this may be the right opportunity for you!
The Stanford University Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation is currently accepting applications for the position of Assistant Director, Technical Operations. Reporting to the Assistant Athletics Director, Technical Operations, this position is responsible for audio/video equipment and content management, as well as the day-to-day operations and staffing for events. The Assistant Director, Technical Operations will work with athletics department coaches and staff, third party contractors, television production crews and contingent staff.
Summary of Essential job functions:
- Oversee, manage and direct all day to day video and audio coverage for varsity events including but not limited to football, women’s volleyball, men’s volleyball and baseball as well as postseason, University and special events. Responsibilities include inventory control, creating and loading in content, liaison for television crews.
- Oversee contingent scheduling, content management, including creation and loading of, and testing for varsity and outside events.
- Work with internal and external partners to develop, create and load-in content for video board shows, voiceovers, crowd prompts, etc. including quality control and proofing. Horizontal management of peers is required to successfully accomplish this task
- Act as a conference liaison to ensure cooperation with guidelines, and provide suitable AV needs for PAC-12 competitions.
- Create, implement and manage preventative maintenance plans for equipment.
- Research and forecast emergent technologies and trends and report latest innovations for in-venue video boards and game day elements.
- Work with Assistant Athletics Director, Technical Operations in planning, installing, and commissioning capital AV projects as they are fundraised for.
Other duties as assigned.
Summary of required skills and abilities:
- Knowledge in analog, digital video, fiber and audio systems are crucial for this position. Starting with camera capturing and ending with video display, the knowledge of the routing, switching and recording is a must.
- Working knowledge of non-linear video editing systems, video playback, LED displays, cameras and related hardware.
- Clear understanding of graphic design, video editing, live broadcast technology, video transcoding, graphic files and music genres.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, mature judgement, and diplomacy required to interact effectively with and provide customer service to a broad audience.
- Ability to work independently as well as effectively in a collaborative team environment.
- Strong ability to manage multiple, competing priorities.
- Successfully collaborate with other groups, especially Fan Experience, Marketing, Creative Video, Communications and sports programs.
- Demonstrate ability to lead and train staff for high performance.
- Extensive knowledge of Daktronics front end and display systems.
- Should be proficient in Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe Premiere, Apple Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer, Encore DVD, Audition and various equipment such as routers, switchers, controllers and design software.
- Broad knowledge of all aspects of broadcast quality television, including field and studio camera, lighting, sound and editing.
- Ability to adapt equipment setup and provide alternative setup or workarounds if necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to perform repairs on a wide variety of audio, visual and computer equipment.
- Bachelor's degree and two years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
This position, along with all DAPER coaches and staff, is responsible for the integrity of Stanford’s intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. This position is responsible for insuring that his/her involvement with Athletic Department activities maintains the integrity of the University’s reputation and does not negatively impact the relationship between the University and its faculty, staff, students and alumni. Additionally, this position must comply with University policies and procedures, NCAA and PAC-12 rules and regulations.
Why Stanford is for you:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Employee Status: Regular
- Requisition ID: 82876