Assistant Director, Undergraduate Advising
The Assistant Director of Undergraduate Advising in the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences is involved in academic advising and academic administration. The Assistant Director will work closely with the Director of Undergraduate Advising to monitor students’ academic records, uphold academic policies and disseminate changes to University policies, promote student success, review academic standing (including Academic Probation, Suspension, and the Dean’s List) at the end of each Fall and Spring semester, be knowledgeable about major and minor degree programs and perform graduation clearances. In addition, the Assistant Director will supervise the work activities of 4-5 full-time Academic Advisors. S/he will also be involved in training and onboarding new employees, professional development opportunities, and serve as a representative for the CCAS Undergraduate Studies Academic Advising Office when necessary.
This management position oversees the delivery of academic advising services to students. In addition to formally managing advisors, this position manages the daily operations of an undergraduate or graduate advising unit, ensures staff coverage for students, and protects the privacy of student records per regulations. This is a management position at the university that, in addition to leading a work unit, leads and supervises staff directly, makes hiring decisions, provides coaching, training and mentoring, manages performance and determines future staffing needs.
- Assists the Director of Undergraduate Advising in developing and managing an effective and innovative advising program.
- Provides direct developmental supervision to 4-5 full-time of Undergraduate Academic Advisors and assists in their training and onboarding.
- Advises a reduced caseload of CCAS undergraduate students and maintains appropriate student records.
- Communicates with student and alumni groups as needed to provide and exchange information, enlist cooperation, and implement policies and programs.
- Designs and delivers training related to academic advising and academic policies and prepares reports analyzing the advising program.
- Provides oversight for office events, programming, and high-level administrative processes, including orientation, CARE network case management, and registration activities.
- Fosters and maintains cross-campus relationships and initiatives with our faculty, student affairs, and external partners. This includes acting as departmental liaisons or representing CCAS Advising on various campus committees and working groups.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.