Technician Training Experience in Non-Destructive Testing
6 days left
- Full Time
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization.
Are you a technician looking for a challenging professional experience to further your career? If so, joining CERN’s TTE programme may very well give you that challenge. This position as an Electronic Technician is part of our prestigious TTE programme.
The mandate of the EN-MME group is to provide to the CERN community specific engineering solutions combining mechanical design, fabrication and material sciences.
The EN-MME-MM section undertakes the development, selection, specification, characterisation and analysis of materials. The section provides support for the quality control of materials and components including NDT and dimensional controls; conceives and realises a large range of static and dynamic mechanical tests and measurements and performs failure analyses.
The NDT service is looking for a recently graduated technician with radiographic and dye penetrant testing competencies to consolidate its team.
As part of the NDT service team you will:
- Perform radiographic inspections on a variety of assemblies concerning mainly computed radiography techniques;
- Participate in the planning, preparation and assessment of gammagraphy campaigns carried out by external contractors on different CERN premises;
- Perform fluorescent and colour dye penetrant testing on materials and assemblies.
- Produce inspection reports, advise users on problems related to NDT and present your results in technical meetings;
- Participate in the maintenance and development of equipment and laboratories.
Depending on work progress and contract duration beyond the first year:
- Have the opportunity of performing tomographic and micro tomographic inspections after a period of familiarization;
- Be involved in other NDT activities such as ultrasonic testing with conventional, phased array and immersion techniques.
In order to qualify for this place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a national of a CERN Member State or Associate Member State (https://home.cern/about/member-states);
- You have a Technical Diploma in a material science, mechanics or NDT related field and no more than 4 years' relevant experience after finishing your diploma. A valid certifications in RT and in PT, Level 2 (following ISO 9712 or equivalent). A valid nationally-recognized certificate for operating X-ray generators for industrial radiology
- If you are currently studying, you are still eligible to apply, although you are expected to have obtained your qualification by the start of your appointment at CERN;
- If you hold a BSc or MSc, you are not eligible. However, you may be eligible for the Fellowship Programme.
- You should have at least a working knowledge of English or French.
Specific skills required for this job:
- digital industrial radiography
- dye penetrant testing
- general knowledge of other NDT techniques
- safety requirements involved with the operation of RT equipment
- basic knowledge of material science and joining techniques
CERN would very much like to benefit from your expertise, commitment and passion. In return, CERN will provide you with:
- An employment contract of one year, renewable for a second year;
- On-the-job and formal training at CERN as well as in-house language courses for English and/or French;
- A take-home pay of 3,500 Swiss Francs per month (net of tax);
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive health scheme (for yourself, your spouse and children), and membership of the CERN Pension Fund;
- Depending on your individual circumstances: an installation grant, family, child and infant allowances as well as travel expenses to and from Geneva;
- 2,5 days of paid leave per month.
The candidate will gain experience in the commissioning of instrumentation channels, in the application of strict quality assurance procedures imposed by a system involving several thousands of acquisition channels and low noise techniques required by the low level of signals encountered in the cryogenic applications. Furthermore, this work requires continuous interactions with different teams assuring a possibility to acquire communication skills with CERN its multicultural environment.
This is how you can apply:
You will need the following documents to complete your application:
- A scanned copy of your latest relevant qualification;
- At least one reference letter (from a professor or previous employer) giving an overview of your academic and/or professional achievements. This should be as broad as possible.
- You can upload these letters at the time of application if you have them to hand. You will also be provided with a link as soon as you have submitted your application to forward to your referees to upload their letters confidentially. Please note this must be done before the closing date.
All applications should normally reach us no later than 31.05.2019.
Please make sure you have all the documents requested to hand as you start your application. Once submitted you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application.
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Engineering & Technology Other Professional Services jobs in Switzerland
- Fixed Term Physical Sciences Other Professional Services jobs in Switzerland
- Fixed Term General Engineering Other Professional Services jobs in Switzerland
- Fixed Term Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Other Professional Services jobs in Switzerland
- Fixed Term Physics & Astronomy Other Professional Services jobs in Switzerland