Dean of the College of Business
Dean of the College of Business
Vin University seeks an entrepreneurial-minded academic leader with rigorous academic credentials in business, a record of excellence in teaching and research, and strong administrative leadership gained in a large, complex, and diverse higher education environment to be the founding Dean of the College of Business.
Respect for shared governance and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, yet decisively, will be important attributes. Additionally, the successful candidate will have likely held a senior administrative appointment in a university-system setting with experience working with governing boards, administration, and faculty. A sophisticated understanding of financial and operational drivers of performance in a research university are critical.
The Dean will lead the ongoing development of the vision and goals of the College, work with other leaders and colleagues across the University to pursue those goals, and effectively communicate the College’s vision and goals to constituencies within and external to Vin University. She/he will support and promote the highest quality educational programs, research, public service, and economic development activities of the College.
PRINCIPAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure alignment of the College with Vin University’s vision and mission. Assist the University and community with economic and entrepreneurship goals.
- Propel Vin University along its path to becoming an emerging research institution. As such, the Dean must work with faculty to develop the College's research portfolio.
- Promote, encourage, and incentivize interdisciplinary collaborations within the College and across the colleges at Vin University.
- Oversee all academic programs in the College as well as the centers/institutes within it. Make sure the academic programs meet the evolving mission of the College, align with the College’s strategic plan, and meet the needs of the students and faculty.
- Work with all constituency groups to ensure that the academic programs of the College approaching high national/regional ranking, and are well placed with respect to the College’s peer or aspirational benchmark group.
- Recruit and retain a high quality faculty and staff. Recommend appointment, promotion, and professional development of faculty members after consultation with appropriate unit/department chairs.
- Design marketing strategies to promote the College to prospective students. Collaborate with the university’s admission division to recruit, retain, and graduate high-quality students.
- Ensure student success in and beyond the classroom by building educational and student life programs that will enable students to become productive citizens who value and pursue community engagement.
- Support mutually beneficial partnerships between the College and business/industry, not-for-profit organizations, and other educational institutions. Nurture industry relationships that provide student internships, graduate career opportunities, scholarships, and other fundraising prospects.
- Oversee efficient and effective internal operations of the College. Coordinate and manage the activities of the College of Business’ advisory council(s), committees, and boards.
- Ensure effective communications with Vin University’s leaders.
- Play a key oversight role in accreditation process and program review for continuous improvement of the College.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Qualified for appointment as a tenured professor in a top university
- Doctoral degree required, preferred from an AACSB accredited institution in a business discipline
- At least five years’ successful experience in progressively responsible teaching, administrative, and educational leadership positions in a university setting
- Experience with AACSB accreditation
- Demonstrated successful experience in strategic planning, fiscal management, resource allocation, and personnel supervision.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Broad knowledge of the philosophy and mission of private universities
- Knowledge of curriculum design and its application to sound academic management
- Ability and skill in the design and application of methods for the evaluation of faculty and staff
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, complex ideas and recommendations
- Ability to carry out the functions of leadership along a planned program of institutional direction
- Ability to manage a college/school academic budget; ability to establish and monitor fiscal accountability within the areas of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff, and students as well as community groups of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Possess strong professional networks.
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send (1) a resume and (2) a cover letter explaining the interest in the position and relevant qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning May, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination including the candidate’s contact information to the Search Committee. The desired position start date is September 2019, subject to negotiation.
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Accommodation: Vin University will provide either accommodation at Vinhomes condominium, or an equivalent accommodation benefit in the compensation package.
- Working permit: Vin University will assist in establishing the paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, working permit, ID, driver license, insurance, etc.)
- Child education: Employees arriving with children may have concerns about how their families will fit in with their new life in Vietnam. Vin University will assist in finding an excellent school for your children. There is child education allowance if your children study at Vinschools.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living and expatriates can live a comfortable life here with a moderate expenditure.