Pro Bono Streetlaw Manager
Location: London Waterloo
Closing date: 24/04/2019
Employment type: Permanent
Department: University Education Services
Part time, 30 hours per week
We seek an individual to join BPP University’s award winning pro bono team. This a replacement role, the purpose of which is to manage and develop the successful Streetlaw projects. The role is based in BPP’s Waterloo campus.
The person appointed will:
- Have excellent organisational skills;
- Coordinate and develop Streetlaw projects in London;
- Have the ability to inspire and motivate students;
- Have a legal background and have experience of student pro bono projects;
- Have experience of training and/or presenting;
- Have a passion for pro bono services and the benefits to students and clients alike of student led pro bono;
- Have a passion for social media and have some marketing and business development skills or an aptitude to developing these skills;
- Liaise with academic staff to ensure all presentations are legally accurate;
- Enjoy working with students; and
- Be dedicated to providing an excellent service to clients and a stimulating learning environment for students.
About the Pro Bono Centre:
The BPP Pro Bono Centre facilitates student led pro bono services. Law students work with qualified staff to deliver a range of services including legal advice and legal education. The Centre opened in 2004 and has expanded to accommodate the growing number of law students and locations of BPP University. Its dual goals are to provide free legal advice to the community and to provide law students with the opportunity to obtain practical legal experience.
Your duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Working with the Pro Bono staff in London to provide an innovative, interesting pro bono Streetlaw service.
- Acting as a point of contact for pro bono in Waterloo including the delivery of introductory talks, Open Door sessions, staff talks and more in conjunction with the Pro Bono Manager for Waterloo.
- Working closely with the Streetlaw Supervising Solicitor, the Pro Bono Manager for Waterloo, the Pro Bono Directors and the Pro Bono Administrator in Holborn.
- Providing support for students engaged in pro bono.
- Developing, coordinating and running training sessions (carried out also by BPP pro bono and academic staff).
- Promoting the culture and ethic of pro bono among the students.
- Being a point of contact for Pro Bono and to liaise with staff, students, clients and supervisors.
- Monitoring a Streetlaw email account.
- Helping develop the current Streetlaw project, working closely with volunteer student directors.
- Networking with the community and other legal professions to gain more contacts in prisons, homeless shelters and schools and other community groups.
- Staying current on all project developments and supervise more basic advice and casework from time to time.
- Playing a part in developing and maintaining the Pro Bono Centre intranet site.
- Undertaking any other duties related to the post as deemed suitable or appropriate by the relevant person.
Knowledge, skills and experience required
Please refer to the full job description
Please note the successful candidate will be required to undergo an Enhanced DBS check