Nurse Practitioner, Cancer Center
SITES OF PRACTICE:
Duke Raleigh Cancer Center, Duke Cancer Center Clinic 5-1, ABMT North Pavilion, 9100 and 9200.
Primary contact, resource and liaison for the patient and other members of the hematologic malignancy team throughout the care of the patient. Develop the clinical treatment plan for patients in conjunction with the patient’s primary physician. Communicate clinical information to physicians and ancillary staff to ensure quality care, appropriate clinical decision-making and adherence to protocol or treatment plan requirements.
- Primary contact, resource and liaison for the patient and other members of the Hematologic Malignancy team during the treatment and long term follow up.
- Develops the clinical treatment plan for new patients in conjunction with the patient’s primary physician and requests the appropriate and necessary orders as required.
- Effectively communicates clinical information to physicians and clinical staff to ensure quality care, appropriate clinical decision-making and adherence to protocol/treatment plan requirements.
- Develops individual schedules that facilitate efficient patient access to services and communicates plan of care to the patient and care team.
- Participates in the education of the patient and ensures patient eligibility and adherence to protocol criteria.
- Provides protocol and treatment related education to the patient and/or caregiver in a manner that meets their learning style and needs.
- Participates in the informed consent process, confirming signature and appropriate reporting and filing of any consent.
- Identify report and manage toxicities and/or adverse events that require clinical intervention.
- Understands data management requirements of the protocol and utilizes appropriate tools, processes and/or systems to obtain data in a timely manner.
- Perform necessary diagnostic and therapeutic procedures (within the scope of practice of the supervising physician). These may include, but are not limited to the following: bone marrow biopsy/aspirate/lumbar puncture, Hickman catheter removal, skin biopsy.
- Conduct physical exams, obtain patient histories, monitor patient progress, and may be required to see patients independently.
- Order appropriate medications, laboratory studies and diagnostic procedures. Prescriptive practice will exclude chemotherapy.
- Document the patient’s course of treatment at the direction of the supervising physician.
- Coordinates care between the inpatient and outpatient setting and between multiple ancillary and support departments (i.e. Radiation Oncology, Radiology, Pharmacy, Labs) and patient’s referring physician.
- Collaborates with insurance companies, home health, home infusion and/or other services to facilitate the clinical support needs of the patient.
- Assure proper charges have been posted and appropriate documentation provided.
- Participate in meeting the educational requirements of students, medical residents, fellows and other members of the health care team
- Attend program required meetings.
- Responsible for maintaining CME requirements.
- Responsible for maintaining required state item for binder at all times.
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Family Level 78
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires completion of accredited Nurse Practitioner program. State of North Carolina licensure is also required.
Hematological Malignancy Experience Preferred