Pre-Doctoral Fellowship in Development and Urban Economics
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Dr Gabriel Kreindler (Harvard Economics Department) is hiring a Pre-Doctoral Fellow to work on projects related to urban transportation topics in developing countries.
This position is ideal for a candidate with exceptional technical skills and motivation. The candidate will collaborate and assist Dr Kreindler at all stages of research, with a focus on technical data processing and data analysis, such as: writing code to automatically process raw GPS traces, collecting new types of mobility data, analysis of large, partially structured data sets, model simulations. An example of the type of project the fellow would work on is measuring the impact of congestion pricing on traffic congestion and commuter welfare (tinyurl.com/y6tq4ykr).
This is a full-time position based at Harvard University for a period of one year with the possibility of renewal for a second year.
This position is ideal for exceptional graduating seniors or masters students with a strong interest in pursuing a Ph.D. in Economics or a related field after acquiring research experience. It will include relevant tasks to provide preparation for graduate work: data cleaning, statistical data analysis, summarizing and writing research results. Other tasks may be included. The fellow will also be an active participant in the Harvard University research community. The fellowship includes opportunities to develop a research agenda in related topics, to attend seminars, and to audit a course (with permission of the instructor).
Salary is $48,000, plus benefits.
Expected start date is September 2019 or earlier.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics or technical field (e.g. Computer Science).
- Excellent programming skills and proven track-record of learning new languages or tools. Experience in Python strongly preferred. Knowledge of STATA, R, Matlab is a plus.
- Research experience is a strong plus (work as research assistant or independent research)
To apply: submit an email with subject line “[urbdev predoc application]” to email@example.com, including:
- in the body of the email: contact details (name, email, phone) of two references who can submit a written letter of reference or fill out a short form. Ideally, the references know the applicant from an academic and research context.
- an archive with the following pdf documents:
- A current CV/Resume.
- A short cover letter indicating (a) your relevant research experience as research assistant or for independent projects, (b) your programming language and other computer technical experience.
- Transcript (unofficial ok)
- (optional) Summary transcript with only the courses in math, computer science, statistics, economics, including the course name, school, date taken (include current courses)
Short-listed applicants will be contacted and asked to complete a technical exercise, and will then be invited to an interview.
Dr. Gabriel Kreindler
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.