A member of the radiation therapy treatment planning team who is thoroughly familiar with the physical and geometric characteristics of the radiation equipment and radioactive sources commonly employed, and has the training and expertise necessary to measure and generate radiation dose distributions and calculations for adult and pediatric patients under the direction of the Radiation Therapy Physicist and the Radiation Oncologist.
- Assist in localization procedures, using CT or conventional radiographic techniques.Obtain patient contours and assist in outlining of anatomical structures and the target volume in three dimensions.
- Discuss with the physician the aim of the treatment, including planned tumor dose and maximum acceptable doses to normal tissue.
- Generate isodose distributions via computer and performs calculations for the accurate delivery of the prescribed dose. Presents these to the physician and discusses alternatives.
- Label plans with anatomical directions.Participate in continuing education in the area of current treatment planning techniques and advances in medical dosimetry.
- Calculate required treatment time or monitor setting for delivery of prescribed dose.
- Prepare treatment aids and beam modifying devices, including head holders, molds, shields, cradles,compensators, and others as needed.
- Assist in verification of treatment plans through treatment simulation using CT or conventional radiographic techniques.
- Assist the therapist staff in the implementation of treatment plans.
- Enter treatment parameters in record/verify system.
- Assist in routine quality control program to include weekly chart checks, chart rounds, etc.
- Participate in clinical research for the development and implementation of new treatment techniques.
- Provide treatment-planning instruction to staff, residents, and students as required.
- Assist in record keeping and documentation of treatment parameters for all patients undergoing radiation therapy.
- Maintain inventory of radioactive substances.
- Correctly load and unload radioactive substances into designated devices as prescribed by a physician.
- Assist in localization procedures of intracavitary or interstitial sources or seeds.
- Document and perform patient billing information accurately and in a timely manner.Incorporate compliance with department, hospital, and state policies and procedures into patient care and treatment planning.
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Family Level H2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
A graduate of an accredited Medical Dosimetry program. Board eligible with certification by the Medical Dosimetrist Certification Board (MDCB)within two years of graduation from the program. Bachelor's degree preferred.ORA Certified Medical Dosimetrist with two years of dosimetry experience.Bachelors degree preferred.
Senior Dosimetrist Must also have a minimum of 10 years of experience
Please see Education Qualifications above
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Certified as Medical Dosimetrist (C.M.D.)