Patient Service Associate, Orthopaedics Heritage
- Coordinate and participate in a variety of duties associated with daily clinic preparation process, patient identification, patient check in/out, cash management and patient appointment scheduling.
- Position also involves customer service, message distribution, ancillary scheduling and preparation and referrals management.
- Complete patient check-in upon arrival to clinic; add/edit demographic, guarantor, coverage, and special needs information.
- Add and verify new coverage as needed and obtain necessary forms.
- Refer patients to Financial Care Counselor as appropriate.
- Manage warnings and confirmation checks and copy insurance cards as needed.
- Clear all missing Reg items from Patient WQ.
- Collect and post co-payments and balances on accounts due.
- Complete patient check-out, schedule and complete referrals and orders.
- Schedule return appointments/labs/studies.
- Accurately complete MSPQ, ABN and/or other forms, when applicable, with the patient present.
- Review and process work Referral and Order WQs daily to assure completion of the next day’s arrivals.
- Answer telephone, take and deliver messages to physicians, nurses and others.
- Report obtained medical information from patients and referring physicians accurately, completely and timely.
- Disseminate messages according to practice communication standards.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong verbal and written communication.
- Basic PC and data entry skills.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and telephone etiquette.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work, provide oral and written instructions,
- interact tactfully with customers and establish and maintain effective relationships with others.
- Must be able to apply specific departmental policies, rules and regulations relating to verifying patient information, collecting payments and maintaining records and forms.
- Work requires knowledge of basic grammar and mathematical principles normally acquired through high school education.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS/ PREFERENCES
- Minimum of one year of work experience in directly communicating and providing service to patients or public; preferably in a healthcare related field.
- Experience in effectively coordinating multiple tasks or activities.
- Must be able to work under time pressures in a busy clinic/office environment.
- Must be present on site for 8 hour shifts during standard business hours.
- Must participate in group activities requiring interpersonal skills & cooperation.
- Must work as late person when scheduled or according to business needs
- Must be able to react quickly and immediately respond to emergencies.
- Must travel between locations on needed basis.
- Must be able to handle multiple assignments, conflicting demands & priorities.
- Must maintain attention to detail over extended period of time.
- Must be continually aware of variations in changing situations.
- Must be able to move throughout office environment throughout day.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs. Must be able to push/pull 50 lbs.
- Must be able to carry 25 lbs.
- Must be able to reach for objects by extending arms.
Duke Entity PRIVATE DIAGNOSTIC CLINICS
Job Family Level B2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires knowledge of basic grammar and mathematical principles normally acquired through high school education
Minimum of one year of work experience in directly communicating and providing service to patients or public; preferably in a healthcare related field. Experience in effectively coordinating multiple tasks or activities.