Patient Service Associate, Duke Cancer Center
- Patient check-in Identify correct patients in maestro Care.
- Verify/update demographic and insurance data as needed.
- Complete check in- responding as needed to alerts, warnings and confirmation checks.
- Refer patients with financial questions to the Financial Care Counselor.
- Present and educate patients on required forms (MSPQ, COA/COT, ABN).
- Obtain signatures on forms as required and process forms per policy.
- Collect co-payments,deductibles,prepayments and balances on accounts due; post payments correctly in Maestro Care.
- Provide receipt.
- Coordinate all labs/procedures in accordance by physician/provider request.
- Scheduling tests and procedures.
- Complete ancillary scheduling accurately, according to physician orders.
- Ensure all test and consultations are scheduled in the correct sequence.
- Explain test preparations to patients,according to standard practice instructions.
- Collect patient liability (payments due to copay, deductible,coinsurance, prepayments as appropriate and balances).
- Balance cash collections to User Batch Report Daily.
- Reconcile cash discrepancies as required.
- Secure cash appropriately at all times during clinic hours.
- Return cash bag at end of shift to Cash Manager.
- Patient Check –Out (as applicable)
- Review the check-out screen or the After Visit summary (AVS) for orders(same day or future),referrals and follow up information.
- Schedule as appropriate.Coordinate/schedule follow up appointments ensuring correct appointment type, location, provider, and referring physician as applicable.
Customer Service, Safety and Work Culture.
- Meet and greet patients and visitors immediately upon presentation.
- Consistently use “Words that Work” and RELATE in daily interactions with patients, their loved ones and co-workers.
- Contribute to a positive work environment by living Duke’s values and demonstration expected behaviors.
- Report safety issues timely to clinic leadership and report personal safety incidents within 24 hours of occurrence.
- Identify operational improvements to maximize efficiency and effectiveness of services provided.
- Explain billing to patients.
- Coordinate and participate in a variety of duties associated with daily.
- Answer telephone, take and deliver messages to physicians, nurses and strong verbal and written communication.
- Basic PC and data entry patient identification, patient check in/out, charge posting, cash Check-outskills.
- Knowledge of medical ancillary service requisitions.
- Schedule tests and procedures.
- Complete and distribute.
- Prepare for clinic visits by reviewing next day patients and completing clinic preparation process,according to PRMO credit and collection policies.
- Determine the amount patients.
- Make return appointments by scheduling patients into the others.
- Report obtained completely and timely.
- Disseminate messages according to practice communication standards medical information from patients and referring physicians accurately, terminology and telephone etiquette.
- Demonstrated ability to organize relating to verifying patient information,collecting payments and establish and maintain effective relationships with others.
- Must be able to apply specific department maintaining records and forms.charts.policies rules and regulations.
- Check-in patient upon arrival in the practice.scheduling.
- Position also involves customer service, message.
- Enter pre-visit orders and prepare new patient charts.
- Pick up X-rays,encounter forms.reports, petty cash and collections bag.
- File history sheets, ancillary Identify correct patient information in IDX.
- Verify patient demographic IDX.the primary care physician or referring physician and scheduling tests private physician office on insurance plan.patient record documentation.
- Return medical records.
- Attach Prepare encounter forms.
- Investigate and account for missing encounter forms.
- Audit encounter forms for completeness and accurately identify the appropriate account for patient visit.
- Present data.
- Edit IDX as needed.insurance cards as indicated by procedure.
- Coordinate all preparation and referrals forms and obtain signature as required by policy and procedure. patient specific chart documents and requisition/transmittal documents. distribution, ancillary scheduling and Batches encounter forms or charge posting in reports and all other required HIPPA/Medicare documents to the accuracy before batching.
- Copy, file and distribute labs/procedures as requested.
- Maintain next day preparation activities.management and patient appointment correct appointment type, entering and written instructions, interact tactfully with customers and prioritize work, provide oral office charts, medical records,and educate patients on required of cash to be collected based manage all appropriate alerts.
Duke Entity PRMO
Job Family Level B2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires knowledge of basic grammar and mathematical principles normally acquired through high school education
Minimum of one year of work experience in directly communicating and providing service to patients or public; preferably in a healthcare related field. Experience in effectively coordinating multiple tasks or activities.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications