General Description of the Job Class
Perform under supervision a variety of technical duties related to the preparing and dispensing of drugs according to standard procedure.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Prepare intravenous admixtures or other sterile products (including chemotherapy and parenteral nutrition).
- Fill physician orders/prescriptions, medication carts, or stock requisitions.
- Deliver medications and supplies to patient care and ancillary areas.
- Answer telephones and directs calls to appropriate personnel.
- Enter charges and credits for patient medications.
- Enter medication orders/prescriptions into the pharmacy computer system.
- Provide technical support for automated equipment (Pyxis Robotics).
- Maintain logs, records and other required documentation. File documentation in the appropriate location.
- Complete and document all assigned medication storage area inspections at least monthly. Identify and replace outdated and unusable drugs. Monitor assigned quality improvement indicators of individual or departmental performance. Stock medications and supplies; package medications as required for dispensing.
- Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of drug names, basic math, medical terminology, basic computer skills.
- Ability to compound medications and admix intravenous products including antineoplastic drugs under the supervision of a pharmacist.
- Ability to work rotating shifts.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Family Level C1
Full Time / Part Time PART TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
High school diploma or equivalent and completion of a certified pharmacy technician training program or acceptance into pharmacy school or two years experience acquired on the job (hospital setting preferred)
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Must be eligible for registry with the NC Board of Pharmacy