Lecturer in Biological Sciences, Education Focused Academic Position
School of Life and Environmental Sciences
Faculty of Science
- Opportunity to provide and to inform innovative pedagogical practices
- Located at Camperdown Campus at the School of Life Environmental Sciences
- Full-time Continuing employment, Academic Level B, Base Salary: $104,155 p.a. - $126,279 p.a. plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation.
About the opportunity
Applications are invited in a Lecturer, Education Focused Academic position. Education-focused is an elite and specialised category of academic engagement reserved for talented educators with a passion for, and demonstrated excellence in, pedagogical practice and design. A Lecturer (Education-focused) is expected to make a significant contribution to teaching and learning practice, design and evaluation within the School/ Faculty and will be on a trajectory towards leadership in educational design and delivery.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. It is expected that the successful candidate would be able to develop and sustain teaching excellence and contribute to outstanding educational design, delivery, evaluation and outcomes. This role requires both academic and professional capability, which will require:
- PhD in an academic field relevant to the discipline or other higher professional qualifications appropriate to their discipline.
- A proven ability, commitment and passion for engaging in scholarly activities to inform innovative pedagogical practice
- Deep and broad experience in teaching and learning in a tertiary environment, as evidenced by participation in team teaching within an established program and experience in teaching in a variety of settings.
- Demonstrated success in designing, implementing and evaluating teaching and learning initiatives.
- A developing network of relationships with key academics, partners and stakeholders.
- Experience in supervising or mentoring others and/or coordinating team activities.
- Demonstrated capacity to stimulate, actively engage and educate an audience using a range of media.
The appointees will contribute to academic scholarship, research excellence and community service at the University of Sydney.
This position is within the School of Life and Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Science, at the University of Sydney. It is the largest school within the Faculty of Sciences, and one of the largest Schools within the University of Sydney. Our undergraduate teaching takes students from the structure of proteins, to the workings of cells through to whole ecosystems, both natural and agricultural. We are looking for a dynamic colleague to play an essential role in the organization, coordination, administration and teaching of our large first year units of study. You will be working as part of a team with other Education Focused academics and teaching/research focused academics involved in first year teaching
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 748/0419C to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, 15 May 2019 (Sydney Time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.