Research Assistant, School of Medicine
Conducts and supports clinical research exam elements and study procedures for the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcome Study
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Assists with IRB and other regulatory submissions.
- Obtains informed consent.
- Facilitates completion of and/or conducts study-related surveys as needed.
- Schedules participant visits through Epic for ancillary studies.
- Assists with obtaining blood pressure readings, participant weights, spirometry, gait speed, blood samples, and other study measures.
- Assist with participant reimbursements/parking vouchers.
- Handles correspondence to study participants and collaborators, as appropriate.
- Assists with data entry, cleaning, organizing and tabulating for a multi-faceted database of all assessment and outcome data.
- Maintains a current backup of research data and ensures the security and confidentiality of the data.
- Participates in site monitoring visits and other periodic audits.
- Contributes to agenda for weekly research meetings.
- Must attend study meetings with investigators to ascertain progress on protocols and to communicate any problems or concerns.
- Assists with other duties as assigned.
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
- Bachelor’s degree in science or medical field required; Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Experience with phlebotomy
- At least one year of experience in the conduct of clinical research, including familiarity with participant recruitment, or prior work experience in clinical research setting preferred.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and data analytic programs.
- Ability to use independent judgement to complete study assessments under supervision of study investigators and research coordinator.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to details are required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills in order to carry out protocols with human volunteers of diverse socioeconomic and racial populations.
Starting Salary Range: $16.10-$22.12
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: Tuesday-Wednesday; 7:00am-3:00pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 24-MD:JH at Greenspring Station
Department name: 10002807-SOM DOM Endocrinology
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information