Associate Staff Engineer
Job Req ID: 15316
Associate Staff Engineer
A Staff Engineering position is available at the I-STAR Lab at Johns Hopkins University. The candidate will develop, implement, and support activities in translational research in imaging. The candidate will be part of a research team working on several ongoing projects including but not limited to image-guided surgery, 3D image reconstruction, image registration, and machine learning methods applied to image analysis. Design and conducting experiments in consultation with faculty in the I-STAR Lab. Evaluate the status of ongoing research activities on these projects (and similar ones at I-STAR), and will make recommendations on the project regarding design choices, testing protocols, experimental design, and data analysis.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Provide mechanical, electrical and systems engineering support to the I-STAR group, including design, specifications, manufacturing and component selection, assembly and system commissioning.
- Assist with research on 3D imaging and image registration.
- Assist with research on computer vision systems related to image-guided surgery.
- Assist with experimentation and prototypes involving robotic surgery systems.
- Provide mechanical, electrical, and systems engineering support related to mobile C-arms for 3D imaging and image-guided surgery
- Assist with CAD design work, image segmentation and conversion to CAD, and 3D printing tasks within the group.
- Assist with meeting deliverable requirements of research projects.
- Assists with general annual lab safety inspections.
- Facilitate shipping and receiving of items for the I-STAR lab.
- Assist with support for the multiple PACS workstations.
MS degree in Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, or a closely related field. At least 1 year experience in a research environment. Experience working on multidisciplinary teams. Experience in preparing manuscripts for scientific publications. Experience with design of innovative technology. Working knowledge of computer programming language(s) – Matlab, C++, Python, and/or CUDA. Working knowledge of CAD, basic machining and/or 3D printing.
Classified Title: Associate Staff Engineer
Salary: $51,975 - $71,497
Department name: 10002765-SOM BME Biomedical Imaging Science
Work Schedule/Hours: Monday through Friday
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
School of Medicine - East Baltimore Campus