Job Req ID: 15292
Payroll Shared Services provides payroll processing and accounting services for Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Health System, which consists of multiple employers. Payroll Shared Services activities include but are not limited to the routine processing of weekly, bi-weekly, semi-monthly and off cycle payrolls utilizing the SAP payroll module. Other integrated activities include garnishment processing, time management including interfaces from Kronos and Nightingale, remittances to 3rd party vendors, and financial reporting.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- The primary duties and responsibilities for this position are the support of payroll services as defined in the HR/PY SS SLA. The position will provide payroll support for the employees of the Hopkins Enterprise; anticipate potential payroll issues and questions and takes pro-active active to prevent development of problems or resolve issues. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: audit/error resolution related to attendance interfaces; coordination with external customers to resolve overpayment/repayment issues; providing appropriate resolution of all reported payroll discrepancies; ability to communicate payroll calculations relating to tax withholding, effects of pre-tax deductions and other deductions such as garnishments and wage attachments. The incumbent in this position is expected to develop and document standard operating procedures for changes/updates as well as identify areas for process improvements and streamlining. The incumbent will also assist the payroll supervisor and/or payroll manager with the analysis of various payroll data and/or completion of departmental projects. They will serve as backup for payroll processing for other processes within Shared Services. Maintains confidentiality of payroll/personnel information.
Note: Overtime is required as needed.
Minimum Qualifications (mandatory):
High School Diploma/GED and three years related experience required.
Experience should be in coordinating payroll and/or human resources administration activities, including demonstrated analytical skills and the ability to work independently and make well planned and executed decisions.
A degree or a payroll certification from the American Payroll Association may substitute for 1 year of experience.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Experience processing payroll using SAP, PeopleSoft, Oracle, Meditech, Lawson, etc.
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Proven knowledge of payroll principles and/or record keeping or ability to quickly learn.
- Familiarity of the rules and regulations governing Federal Work Study (all types).
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations that govern employment and hiring practices, or ability to quickly learn.
- Ability to work independently and make independent decisions.
- Ability to independently manage workload and anticipate/plan for required overtime.
- Ability to train, mentor, delegate, and guide.
- Previous experience working with diverse populations.
- Strong interpersonal and customer services skills.
- Proven problem solving abilities.
- Ability to work while remaining calm and focused in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to draft original correspondence and reports.
- Strong working knowledge of JHU payroll policies and procedures (or ability to quickly learn).
- Understanding of federal and state guidelines related to employment laws and regulations, I-9 requirements (including E-Verification); tax exemptions; and the FLSA, namely overtime.
- Proficient in developing and using spreadsheets and databases to track, analyze and report on data to be used to support organizational decision making.
- Proven ability to create reports and manipulate data using advanced Excel.
Classified Title: Payroll Specialist
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/03/OF
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 03-MD:Eastern High Campus
Department name: 10001589-Payroll Shared Services
Personnel area: University Administration
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
Johns Hopkins at Eastern