Controls and Automation Engineer
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an engineer with experience in control and automation? Would you like to contribute your skills and experience to the development, commissioning and maintenance of complex large-scale installations in a unique environment hosting some of the world's most complex technical plants? Join CERN's Cooling and Ventilation team. Take part!
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems, and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Cooling & Ventilation Group (CV), responsible for designing, constructing, maintaining and operating cooling, ventilation and large scale fluid distribution systems (cooling plants, air-conditioning systems, water pumping stations, compressed air, chilled water production units and networks) for the whole Laboratory, particularly in the accelerators and the experiments in the underground areas.
- The Controls Section (CL) within the CV Group, in charge of the design, development, commissioning and support of control systems for cooling and ventilation installations.
You will benefit from:
- The opportunity to broaden your knowledge and experience in new areas and discover a domain where excellence is the key driving factor.
- The use of modern software suite to automatically generate code for Programmable Logic Controllers and perform virtual commissioning.
- Specific training and support for professional development to foster your skills and develop your talents.
As an Engineer in the Controls Section, you will be responsible for the specification, design, implementation and support of industrial control systems for cooling and ventilation plants.
- Define the requirements for C&V control systems: collect the requirements from projects leaders and operators and define and/or select appropriate C&V closed loop regulation strategies.
- Participate in the design and development of these industrial control systems: liaise with CERN developers of the control systems, manage external contractors in charge of implementing CV control systems and develop parts or entire control systems PLC and SCADA code.
- Manage and participate in the commissioning (virtual and on site): define appropriate tests cases, plan the commissioning, supervise and participate in tests with simulators or in situ.
- Support operators of control systems: transfer new control systems to operators, troubleshoot and improve existing plants controls and write technical documents, reports and notes.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of process control, automation engineering, or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in requirements definition.
- Demonstrated experience in design and implementation of controls with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC).
- Experience in definition of test catalogues and execution of tests.
- Experience in contract management for industrial installations.
- Functional analysis of control systems.
- Configuration and implementation of industrial data-acquisition, monitoring and control systems - including PLC, SCADA and Fieldbus systems.
- Installation, operation and maintenance of industrial data-acquisition and monitoring and controlling systems.
- Design and simulation of digital control loops and feedback systems.
- Design of control systems.
- Knowledge in instrumentation and low voltage electrical systems.
- Capability to write technical documents and reports.
- Knowledge in cooling, ventilation or compressed air plants would be an asset.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; and taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; and including others accordingly and sharing information.
- Communicating effectively: providing others with timely information; and ensuring that information, procedures, and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining, and assessing problems; taking action to address them Adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than "gold-plated" technical solutions
- Spoken English or French: willingness to acquire the other language rapidly.
- Ability to draw up technical specifications in English.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 10.05.2019.
Contract type: limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-CV-CL-2019-48-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further