4 days left
- Full Time
Division/School IT Solutions
Contract type Open Ended
Working pattern Full time
Salary £37,345 - £42,036
Closing date for applications 28-Apr-2019
The University of Bristol IT Services Division is seeking to recruit an experienced Systems Developer to provide support for and improvements to services used by staff and students at the University. This is a great opportunity to get involved in a team which delivers solutions to support the University's strategy.
The applications are a mixture of COTS packages and bespoke applications and the successful applicant will be involved in managing packaged software, maintaining bespoke applications, contributing to system integrations and working on new projects, as part of a dedicated, enthusiastic and supportive team.
The team uses Windows and Unix environments with applications using Oracle and Microsoft SQL databases. The applications run mostly on local platforms with some using the Microsoft Azure cloud platform. Bespoke applications are mostly written in Java with web applications using the Struts, Spring MVC and Spring Boot frameworks with Git, Maven, Jenkins, and Puppet used to develop, build and deploy these services. The team provides 2nd and 3rd line support as well as software development expertise and regular patching and upgrades to services. Good communication skills are extremely important.
For more details on the skills and experience required please see the job description. If you feel that you can contribute to the team and to the University we would love to hear from you.
Technical knowledge and experience is required in:
- Supporting applications on Windows and/or Unix platforms, including the installation, patching and upgrading of applications
- Developing and supporting integrations and applications, primarily using Java but we will consider applicants with extensive experience of other object-oriented languages, e.g. .Net, and their associated frameworks
- Experience of supporting applications using Oracle or SQL Server databases. Good knowledge of SQL
- Broad technical knowledge and the willingness to learn new skills as required
- Excellent communication skills
Experience of the following is desirable:
- Experience of using Puppet and of build, CI and deployment tools
- Experience of Unix or Power Shell scripting
- IT Service Management using the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
- Azure, Office365/Dynamics365 or other similar cloud technologies
It is expected that interviews will be held in May 2019.
For informal enquiries please contact Simon King (Simon.King@bristol.ac.uk).
The deadline for applications is 11:59pm on Sunday 28th April 2019.
We appreciate and value difference, seeking to attract, develop and retain a diverse mix of talentedpeople that will contribute to the overall success of Bristol and help maintain our position as one of the world’s leading universities.