Analyst Programmer, Geoscience Research Team
3 days left
- Full Time
Faculty of Science
School of Earth Sciences
Centre for Exploration Targeting
- Opportunity to work with an international collaborative research team to build the next generation of 3D geological modelling tools.
- Suitable to those with a strong interest in integrating mathematics and equations
- Salary range: Level 7, $86,801.00 to $96,427.00 plus superannuation
- Full-time appointment on a 2.5 year fixed term basis
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
UWA’s School of Earth Sciences is a group of internationally recognised educators and researchers who are excited by the diverse and complex ancient geological and modern environments of Earth and other planets in our solar system.
This position sits within the Centre for Exploration Targeting and will be working on the Loop consortium, founded as a OneGeology initiative, with geosurvey and Australian Research Council support. This consortium is working with the new MinEx CRC and brings together geological surveys and research institutions in Australia, Canada, France, Germany and the UK.
About the opportunity
You will be responsible for ensuring that 3D modelling and inversion code solutions are created and maintained in a consistent, logical, error-free and optimal manner. You will partner with researchers to research, build, support and document solutions together with the Loop/MinEx science teams on the implementation of optimised software for 3D modelling and inversion. You will be expected to actively engage with the science teams in order to discuss and detail requirements and identify potential solutions and improvements. You will have the opportunity to travel whilst working alongside international programmers and researchers worldwide.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Relevant tertiary degree in software engineering or computer science or equivalent competency
- Substantial relevant computing experience of participating in large scale, distributed software development projects
- Demonstrated ability to architect, design and develop high quality software in multiple languages, including C/C++, Python, Java and/or others
- Experience in SQL database coding
- Substantial experience in data intensive software applications, both in data management and data processing in High Performance Computing and/or Cloud computing environments
You will be passionate about utilising your technical skills to transform existing ideas into communicative coding. You will have a strong interest in mathematics and integrating equations to optimise the software that supports geoscience research. You will possess strong communication and collaboration skills to work alongside international programmers and researchers.
This position requires you to have a current National Police Clearance Certificate.
Closing date: Monday, 29 April 2019
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Recent graduates are encouraged to submit an application.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Full details of the position’s responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the Position Description and applicants should clearly demonstrate they meet the selection criteria.
Diversity and Inclusion
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Platinum Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2017).