Laboratory Research Analyst
The successful candidate for this position will become a member of the Sequencing and Genomic Technologies Shared Resource within Duke’s Center for Genomic and Computational Biology. The candidate will conduct a variety of complex and independent investigations in the planning, development and implementation of original Next Generation Sequencing experimental procedures within the overall scope of research projects conducted at the Sequencing and Genomic Technologies Shared Resource. The candidate is expected to be operating highly technical laboratory instruments and equipment such as Illumina HiSeq and PacBio Sequel sequencers.
- The incumbent’s regular responsibilities will include:
Prepare tissue and specimens for complex procedures, and devise experimental techniques for tests and analysis. Evaluate and interpret collected data and prepare reports.
- Extract total RNA, DNA, from various samples including blood and other fluids/tissues
- Preform quality assessments and annotate samples failing to meet quality metrics for experimental approach
- Prepare various type of next generation sequencing libraries
- Perform sequencing of libraries on High Throughput sequencers
- Document and adhere to standardized laboratory methods, including development of SOP’s regarding experimental methods and data handling procedures.
- Perform instrument quality assessment (QA) and calibration according to SOP’s
- Document QA and deviations from specifications or protocols
- Successfully complete required laboratory, biohazard, chemical, and other relevant training as identified by supervisor.
Contributing to the improvement of laboratory efficiency. The candidate will also be heavily involved with pilot research projects exploring the feasibility of new research approaches. Those pilot research projects will be initiated by Duke Researchers in collaboration with the Director. Excellent organizational skills, and the ability to manage and prioritize commitments to projects effectively. This position reports to the Director. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Preferred knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience of genomics techniques, particularly next generation sequencing (including sample preparation).
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with administration, client, and the shared resource staff.
- Experience in RNA and DNA sequencing and significant knowledge with next generation sequencing technologies are strongly preferred.
- Experience with Illumina technologies and sequencing applications is preferred. Familiarity with other sequencing technologies is a plus.
Preferred education and experience:
Bachelor’s degree in a biological sciences field and relevant experience in genomics and molecular biology.
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Family Level 11
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology, psychology or other directly related scientific field.
Work requires two years of research experience. A related master's degree may offset required years of experience on a 1:1 basis, e.g., a two year master's degree in lieu of two years of experience.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE