Senior Accountant / Financial Analyst
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Penn Athletics is a broad-based Division that serves the University community through 33 intercollegiate varsity programs and diverse recreational offerings. Penn is home to two of the most iconic venues in college athletics, The Palestra and Franklin Field. The Quakers are proud members of the Ivy League. The Division aims to make an impact through athletics by empowering individual excellence and fostering community through varsity, club, and recreational activities. Penn Campus Recreation sponsors 36 club sports and hundreds of intramural teams to provide opportunities to students, both undergraduate and graduate, and faculty/staff. A wide-array of classes and programs are offered through the Pottruck Health and Fitness Center and the Fox Fitness Center for recreation and wellness. http://www.pennathletics.com/
The Senior Accountant/Financial Analyst, reporting to the Director of Financial Operations, is responsible for a broad array of business and financial functions, including performing complex financial analyses, monitoring budgets, financial transactions, cash flow and serving as the point of contact with university offices.
Specifically, the incumbent is responsible for:
- Monitoring and reporting of financial results, reviewing and implementing financial procedures to safeguard resources, processing purchase orders, approving travel reimbursements, oversight of the p-card purchases and payroll activity.
- Submitting various NCAA and Federal reports including an annual GAAP financial submission in accordance with NCAA guidelines. Work with external and internal auditors to adhere to agreed upon procedures.
- Managing annual budget and quarterly forecast processes, incorporating strategic initiatives, economic trends and operational effectiveness. Gains alignment from departmental partners.
- Creating financial models and scenarios as a key input for strategic planning decisions. Identifies and executes upon process improvement opportunities. Demonstrates proficiency of technical tools and financial systems.
- Managing department deliverables, provide leadership, guidance, and support to staff members through effective goal setting, performance management, and professional development.
What is expected of the role:
- Applies advanced knowledge and understanding of concepts, principles, and technical capabilities to manage a wide variety of projects, deadlines and initiatives.
- Participates in the development of policies and procedures to achieve specific goals.
- Recommends new practices, processes, metrics, or models
- Provides solutions which may set precedent
- Independently determines method for completion of new projects
- Acts as a mentor to less experienced colleagues
A Bachelor’s Degree with 3 to 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Degree in Finance or Accounting preferred.
Proven strategic planning experience at the management level.
Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
Strong communication and presentation skills.
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.