Co-funded DVCR Postdoctoral Fellowship in Biological Sciences
5 days left
- Full Time
- MQ and WIOMSA Co-funded fellowship
- Salary Package: Level A, Step (PhD) from $91,991 to $98,588 and plus 17% employer’s superannuation and annual leave loading.
- Full-time, fixed term for 3 years, with a possibility of extension to 5 years
Macquarie University (MQU) and Western Indian Ocean Marine Science Association (WIOMSA) partnership, with support from Macquarie University DVC is currently seeking a suitably qualified Postdoctoral Research Fellow. This position is tailored towards an enterprising Postdoctoral Researcher interested in engaging in interdisciplinary research.
Our goals for this co-funded fellowship are to: i) support management decisions on marine spatial planning (MSP), and to ii) strengthen the link between science and policy for the conservation of marine biodiversity and sustainable development in the Western Indian Ocean (WIO). Using scientific outputs from relevant Marine Science for Management (MASMA) funded projects, and from other previous and ongoing scientific research in the WIO, this partnership seeks to: (i) explore opportunities for integrating science into policy for the conservation and management of marine biodiversity in the WIO; (ii) support the development of MSP and related capacity building on integrated marine and coastal area management, as part of assisting countries in the region to implement the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) strategic Plan for marine and coastal biodiversity, 2011-2020, including the Aichi Biodiversity Targets and SDG-14; (iii) provide technical capacity and scientific input to support implementation of projects, fund raising, identifying and coordinating scientific and management responses to emerging issues pertaining to marine environment, by liaising with relevant partner institutions in the region.
Reporting to Joseph Maina (MQU), the Postdoctoral Researcher and Julius Francis (WIOMSA) the successful candidate will:
- Provide support to enable the science/policy integration and MSP efforts in the region and take an active part in developing the partnership’s exciting initiative, including the Science to Policy Platform for the UNEP Nairobi Convention;
- Be responsible for analyzing large data sets and evaluating the potential of existing data to produce decision support outputs for both policy and management;
- Contribute to the publication of academic papers in world class journals in themes related to the scope of this Post-doc;
- Mentor Higher Degree Research Students at Macquarie University (Masters of Research and PhD students) and
- Participate in capacity building activities for practitioners in WIO.
To be considered for this position, please apply online by submitting your cv and a separate cover letter that demonstrates how you meet the following selection criteria.
- A PhD in Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Geography, Planning, Data Sciences or a related discipline;
- Demonstrated experience with the science-policy processes and the trade-offs required from all scientific disciplines (natural, economic, social). They should also demonstrate knowledge on emerging issues in the environmental (marine) management. These may include but not limited to micro/macro-plastics, threatened species, marine spatial planning, and land sea interactions (SDG14).
- Demonstrated experience in manipulating quantitative and qualitative data and synthesizing data/information from cross disciplinary sources;
- Demonstrated experience in applied research;
- Demonstrated skills in:
- use and/or development of environmental modelling/decision support/marine spatial planning tools
- Programming in R, Matlab, or Python
- A track record of high-quality publications and demonstrated strong verbal and written and communication skills;
- Demonstrated project management skills;
- A high degree of independence and leadership, knowledge of marine ecosystems, and ability to work in an interdisciplinary, international research group;
- Demonstrated experience of working with diverse stakeholders ranging from scientists, managers and policy makers.
The Postdoctoral Researcher will be based at Macquarie University Sydney and at WIOMSA in Zanzibar, Republic of Tanzania. He/she will be required to travel regularly between the two places and will interact extensively with interdisciplinary team of partners and collaborators in the region.
Specific Role Enquiries: Julius Francis: email@example.com and Joseph Maina: firstname.lastname@example.org
General Enquiries: Anne Kumanan, HR Officer at email@example.com
Applications Close: Sunday 28th April 2019 at 11:55 pm AUS Eastern Daylight Time
The Western Indian Ocean Marine Science Association (WIOMSA) is a regional, non-profit, membership organization established in 1993 and registered in Zanzibar, Tanzania in 1994 as a non-governmental organization. The organization is dedicated to promoting the educational, scientific and technological development of all aspects of marine sciences throughout the Western Indian Ocean (WIO) region (consisting of 10 countries: Somalia, Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique, South Africa, Comoros, Madagascar, Seychelles, Mauritius, Réunion (France)), with a view toward sustaining the use and conservation of its marine resources. WIOMSA has a particular interest in linking the knowledge that emerges from research to the management and governance issues that affect marine and coastal ecosystems in the region.
WIOMSA is committed to fair, objective and positive employment practices and promotes equal opportunities and diversity in employment.
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Biological Sciences Postdocs jobs in North Ryde
- Fixed Term Physical Sciences Postdocs jobs in North Ryde
- Fixed Term Social Sciences Postdocs jobs in North Ryde
- Fixed Term Life sciences Postdocs jobs in North Ryde
- Fixed Term Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Postdocs jobs in North Ryde