Professor/associate Professor in the Field of Mechanical Engineering
About the position
NTNU in Gjøvik is located approximately 120km north of Oslo. "Innlandet", the region around Gjøvik, holds the biggest concentration manufacturing industry and forest and wood-mechanical industry in Norway.
The Dept. of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering (IVB) consists is responsible for the following disciplines:
Construction Management, Renewable Energy, Geomatics, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Technology Design and Management and Sustainable Manufacturing.
The research activities are divided into several areas: Manufacturing, Sustainable composites, Digital twin for sustainability, Light metals, Renewable energy, Digitalization of Building Processes, Sustainable Wood Value Chain etc.
The candidate will be organized in the disciplinary group Materials and Constructions.
The position reports to Head of Department.
- teaching activities and tutoring of students at bachelor and postgraduate level
- the candidate will be responsible for the planning and execution of courses in the field of mechanical engineering
- participate in current research activities at NTNU and our cooperation partners, both inside NTNU, in Norway and internationally
- applicants with the ability to work across disciplines are especially encouraged to apply
The candidate should have competence in the following subject areas:
- fatigue design and analysis
- machine elements
The candidate is preferred to have competence in the following subject areas:
- finite element analyses
- fracture mechanics
- computer aided manufacturing (CAM)
- computer aided design (CAD)
The following is considered beneficial to qualify for the position:
- experience in using FEA software such as ABAQUS, ANSYS and/or Comsol Multiphysics
- proven track record in initiating and managing research and development work
- experience from laboratory work
- teaching experience
- experience with supervision of PhD or master’s students and development of education
- experience from working with and in industry
- international network in academia and industry
The position of Professor requires university education in mechanical engineering or equivalent. In addition, academic competence at least at doctoral level is required in the relevant subject area.
The applicant’s research must be documented and of high international quality, showing both breadth and depth. Production must reflect an independent research profile and show the ability to take up new research issues. Continuous research activity is a prerequisite for the granting of professorial competence. Strong emphasis will be placed on publication of research results in recognized international journals within his or her subject area. The greatest emphasis is placed on academic work during the past five years.
Emphasis will be placed on ability and experience in initiating and leading research and development work, and in obtaining external funding for research. Emphasis will also be placed on a documented commitment to teaching, development of teaching materials, and supervision of students at all levels.
Associate Professor (førsteamanuensis):
The position of Associate Professor requires university education in mechanical engineering or equivalent, and academic competence in composites at least at doctoral level.
The ability to initiate and lead research and development work will be emphasized. Strong emphasis will be placed on publication of research results in recognized international journals within his or her subject area. The greatest emphasis is placed on academic work during the past five years (depending on the disciplinary tradition).
Basic qualifications in the discipline of education are required. Anyone who is appointed without having formal basic qualifications in the discipline of education (formerly referred to as practical qualifications in teaching at university level) and who is unable to document equivalent qualifications is required to complete an approved course within two years of appointment. Uniped at NTNU offers qualifying courses.
Pedagogical skills and qualifications will be emphasized. The evaluation will be based on documented material related to teaching, forms of presentation for the academic works, experience in teaching, supervision of doctoral and master’s degree subjects as well as other types of pedagogical background. Applicants with teaching experience at university level will be preferred. Quality and breadth will be evaluated.
Employees who do not have formal qualifications in teaching at university level and who cannot provide documentation of equivalent qualifications must complete an approved pedagogical development programme within two years of appointment.
The person appointed must comply with the decisions about changes due to developments in the subject area, and the organizational changes that may result from decisions regarding the university's activities.
It is a prerequisite that within three years of appointment new employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language can demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three in the course in Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
Please see the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts for general criteria for the position.
- good teaching and tutoring skills
- dedicated to education
- team player and willing to include colleagues in research work
- good skills in presenting research results on conferences and to the ordinary public.
In the assessment of the best qualified applicant, education, experience and personal suitability will be emphasized, as well as motivation for the position.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The gross salary for the position of professor (code 1013) is normally from NOK 619 300 - 1 226 400 before tax per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. The gross salary for the position as Associate Professor (code 1011) is normally from NOK 525 200 to NOK 893 900 per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criterias in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The person appointed must live in a location enabling him/her to be present at and available to the institution.
About the application
The application and description of the academic works to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
The application must include (decide what must be included):
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description of the academic/artistic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be taken into account in the assessment
- A list of your works with information on where they have been published
- Name and address of three potential references
- Research plan
- Description of teaching qualifications based on a list of factors ("Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU")
- Details of projects for which you have been project manager, with information about funding, duration and size
- Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. NTNU wishes to increase the proportion of women in its academic positions, and women are therefore encouraged to apply.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to Head of Department Torbjørn Skogsrød, telephone +47 918 10 799, email email@example.com or to Associate Professor Thomas Haavi, telephone +47 982 30 442, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit your application with your CV, diplomas and certificates via jobbnorge.no. Applicants invited for interview must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas.
Mark the application with reference number: IV- 142/19.
Deadline for applications: 05.05.2019
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Municipality Gjøvik Trondheim
Jobbnorge ID 168677