Research Fellow in Data Analytics
Research Fellow (Data Analytics) - Computer Science and Information Technology
- Full-time, Fixed-term contract opportunity for 18 months
- Opportunities to build your research career in data science
- Work in a position that is jointly funded by industry research and ARC grants
- Exciting and rewarding opportunities to be part of the Centre for Information Discovery and Data Analytics (CIDDA) new & existing research projects
- Excellent professional development with combination of research, training and mentorship in the areas of data science and system development
- Report directly to Professor Mark Sanderson
- Competitive salary packaging + 17% superannuation
As a Research Fellow, you will work primarily to research on analyzing the user access log data from an industry partner to answer complex contextual-dependent questions/queries and to derive user behaviors. This will be a rewarding and brilliant opportunity for you to further develop your expertise to produce high quality research work and publications as well as working with academics in the CIDDA centre to develop new research projects in the data science area.
Coming into this position, you be given the chance to contribute strong and committed supervision and teaching activities to research students.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work independently as well as collaboratively with the team in contributing to quality research showcasing research areas outputs publications, development of new research initiatives, presentation of research findings in high quality journals
- Initiate and contribute to preparation of research proposals and research developments strategy to meet the University and School objectives
- Contribute 10% of your time to mentor & supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students as part of your coursework teaching activities
Skills and Experience Required
- PhD in Computer Science and/or relevant work experience in areas of text or spatial data analytics and machine learning.
- Knowledge and expertise in data science research will be an added advantage to the research activities at the CIDDA
- Demonstrated technical competencies in programming and system development
- Proven track record of published research work in reputable journals in areas such as data and text mining, data management, information retrieval, machine learning and natural language processing.
- Sound technical, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Passion and commitment to build strong relationships across all levels of professional staff within the organisation, and equip with strong technical report writing and verbal communications
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices
- Flexible working arrangements
- Be part of RMIT's academic life and attend various events and workshops
- Access to RMIT staff gym (including free Yoga and Pilates classes)
- 2% salary increase each year and annual leave loading of 1.35%
- MYKI pass discount
- Additional annual leave
To find out more, please visit our website: RMIT Employee Benefits
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
The School of Science, one of RMIT's top-performing research schools, we deliver research that addresses the 'real life questions' essential to Australia's innovation agenda. Our high-quality teaching programs inspire students to pursue careers in a range of industries including health, materials technology, food, geospatial and surveying, environmental analysis, banking and commerce, as well as computing and IT roles and research and development across a wide range of areas.
Details about the College may be found at www.rmit.edu.au/about/our-education/academic-schools/science/
For further information, please contact Professor Mark Sanderson at 03 9925 9675 or Associate Professor Jenny Zhang at 03 9925 2774 . Alternatively, to view the position description, please click on the link http://yourcareer.rmit.edu.au and search using job reference number 575929.
Applications close on Wednesday 8th May 2019.
Applicants are requested to separately address the key selection criteria as outlined in the Position Description. This role will require satisfactory confirmation of a Working with Children Check.
RMIT was named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality (EOCGE) from the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) in 2018 based on significant progress made in 2017, and Gold Employer status in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in recognition of our commitment to celebrating the diverse genders, sexes and sexualities (DGSS) of our community.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to be a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.