Research Program Assistant
Job Req ID: 15216
Research Program Assistant II
Position will support participant recruitment, retention and data collection for several Clinical Trials and NIH funded studies. The Research Program Assistant II will work with the Research Program Coordinator in preparing and organizing data collection materials for participant visits, conducting the study visits, and collecting biological specimens.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Using explicit criteria described in research protocols, screen and identify eligible patients and maintain a log of eligible and non-eligible patients; request clarification from senior staff if uncertainty regarding eligibility; promptly notify senior staff of eligible patients
- Ensure that proper written informed consent from each study participant is obtained prior to entering study; ensure that the original signed and dated consent from each study participant is filed in participants’ research record.
- Perform study procedures such as pulmonary function testing, blood pressure, height, weight, waist circumference, blood draws, and other procedures as needed in studies
- Data entry and management using REDCAP, electronic database and other computer software.
- Data collection via abstraction from paper-based and electronic clinical records and from administering phone and in-person surveys
- Administer simple standardized surveys, clinical assessments and other data collection techniques to patients and their proxies in-person and via phone; record data on case report forms
- Track and assess quality and completeness of data entry and abstraction; immediately raise potential concerns with supervisors
- Generate graphs, funder reports, and scientific meeting presentations. Prepare manuscripts for publication.
- Maintain an organized filing system for electronic and paper-based research records according to HIPAA and IRB regulations and guidelines
- Maintains and audits research charts for each participant enrolled in the clinical studies ensuring that documentation meets IRB and regulatory standards
- Regularly update clinical and research staff, verbally and in writing, of progress with job functions
- Communicate effectively and cooperate with both clinical and research who are directly and indirectly involved in the project in order to achieve project goals in an efficient and effective manner
- Able to prioritize and work on multiple tasks with concurrent deadlines and utilize good time management
- Recruit, verify subject eligibility and schedule subjects for studies.
- Back up support for home visits, lab assistant if necessary.
Scope of Responsibility:
Is aware of the role of the position and its potential impact on the working unit. Knows the informal policies, procedures and practices necessary to conduct the normal function of a specific section, unit, or work area.
Carries out duties and responsibilities with limited supervision, but asks for clarification when needed regarding data quality and integrity issues.
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
- High school diploma required.
- Two years of research experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Possesses knowledge of basic human subject research and ethical guidelines for research.
- Experience in using a personal computer and software programs especially Word and Excel.
- Experience with Access and other databases is a plus.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks.
- Must be detail oriented and organized.
- Good verbal communication skills.
Technical qualifications or specialized certifications:
All HIPPA and IRB-required courses must be completed and appropriate exams passed with necessary certification within 2 weeks of start date. Phlebotomy certification preferred.
Any specific physical requirements for the job:
- Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard
- Communication skills using the spoken word
- Ability to see within normal parameters
- Ability to hear within normal range
- Ability to move about
Classified Title: Research Program Assistant II
Working Title: Research Program Assistant II
Starting Salary Range: $14.00-$19.25
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F; 8:30am-5:00pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 33-MD:Johns Hopkins Bayview
Department name: 10002817-SOM DOM Pulmonary
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
Johns Hopkins Bayview