- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The School of Materials Science and Engineering at UNSW is recognised as the leading MSE program in Australia and is among the best in the world. The School comprises approximately 24 academic staff, approximately 35 research staff and approximately 20 professional and technical staff. Its recurrent income is about $7M per annum, with a further $10M each year in research income. The School has about 290 undergraduate students, 90 postgraduate coursework students and about 150 postgraduate research students. The School has very recently relocated to a newly constructed state-of-the-art $145M building.
About the role
- $83k - $91k plus 17% superannuation and leave loading
- Fixed Term – 24 months - MAT leave replacement
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
The Project Officer is responsible for providing effective and efficient project management support and administrative and office management services to the School of Materials Science and Engineering.
The role of Project Officer reports to the School Manager and supports the HoS Materials Science and Engineering and has no direct reports.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Drive the delivery of major School based projects, initiatives and other ad hoc programs on behalf of the Head of School and School Manager to achieve operational and strategic goals overseeing the project lifecycle. This would include significant projects such as external program accreditation and preparation of the School’s annual report.
- Oversee effective office operations and provide superior executive support to the Head of School including confidential reception, diary/calendar and email management, coordination of meetings and management of all travel and accommodation arrangements.
- Actively ensure the Head of School is appropriately prepared for all meetings and completes any assigned follow-up items, providing assistance as appropriate and/or represent the School at meetings and report on outcomes to relevant stakeholders.
- Integrate information from various sources to draft documents and correspondence for the Head of School including letters, emails, invitations, reports, presentations and briefing notes.
- Coordinate and manage externally-facing events led by the School such as international conferences or workshops.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to establish and deliver on project requirements and project priorities.
- Interpret, apply and advice on UNSW and faculty guidelines and processes to all activities as appropriate.
- Provide any other support and activities as determined and directed by the Head of School and School Manager.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will:
- Relevant degree with subsequent relevant experience or equivalent competence gained through another combination of education, training and experience.
- Demonstrated project management experience delivering projects within agreed timeframes and budget.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills including ability to communicate with and influence diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional time management, office management and organisational skills, ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple tasks with competing deadlines and delegate as required (if relevant).
- Demonstrated initiative, sound analytical and problem-solving skills and proven experience in business improvement activities.
- Extensive experience working on confidential and sensitive matters and demonstrated ability to exercise discretion and tact as required.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
T: 02-9385 7314
Applications close: May 10th, 2019
Find out more about working at UNSW at www.unsw.edu.au
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity or Indigenous heritage. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
UNSW partners with Australia’s leading diversity organisations, networks, and campaigns. Please refer to UNSW’s diversity offerings for further information on our flexible work and leave options, and support for carers (childcare, parent rooms, parental leave).