Research Assistant, Medical School
Contract of part time employment for 1 year, with a potential for renewal for 1 more year.
University of Cyprus, Medical School, Nicosia
The Medical School of the University of Cyprus accepts applications for one (1) post-graduate associate (research assistant) for the research program "The University of Cyprus Action Against Antimicrobial Resistance (START)" of the Experimental Pharmacology Laboratory, directed by Dr Nikolas Dietis (Assistant Professor of Pharmacology, University of Cyprus Medical School). The START research program aims to the discovery of new antimicrobial drugs against antimicrobial resistance and is funded by the Onissilos Program of the University of Cyprus. The objective of the program is to screen the pharmacology of a newly-formed compound library, composed of new chemicals owned by the University of Cyprus, known clinical drugs and extracts from symbiotic bacteria in Cypriot plants (endophytes), against a Bacterial Bank consisting of sensitive and resistant pathogenic microbes. The START program will set the platform for future studies on the discovery of new antibiotic drugs and the management of the rising antimicrobial resistance, two targets that are considered as National Priorities by the Republic of Cyprus, as described in the "National Antimicrobial Resistance Strategy of Cyprus” and the "Smart Specialization Strategy of Cyprus" of the Republic of Cyprus.
RATES AND RESPONSIPILITIES:
The rResearch Assistant will work at the Experimental Pharmacology Laboratory of the University of Cyprus Medical School under the supervision of Dr Nikolas Dietis, aiming to achieve the research objectives of the START program. More specifically, the successful candidate is expected to have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Review of existing literature on current issues of antibacterial drug action and antimicrobial resistance
- Development of methodology of laboratory experiments in collaboration with the Lab’s supervisor.
- Application of laboratory experiments and analysis of experimental data.
- Organization and management of compounds and bacterial collections.
- Laboratory organization and management (daily laboratory work, equipment preparation and cleaning, ordering supplies / equipment, record-keeping).
- Support the lab’s supervisor in the overall management of the research program.
- Collaboration with the members of the Laboratory Research Group to achieve the objectives of the programme.
- Frequent and productive communication with the project partners, in English or Greek
The lab’s Supervisor will provide introductory training to the Postgraduate Associate on the specific experimental pharmacological analysis methods used in the Program.
- Candidates must hold a Bachelor's degree and a Postgraduate or PhD degree in biomedical fields (i.e. Pharmacology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Medicinal Chemistry).
- Candidates must have evidence of research experience/knowledge in the field of microbiology or bacteriology or antimicrobial resistance or antibiotic pharmacology.
- Candidates must have at least one (1) research publication in a peer-review journal, as authors.
- Good knowledge of the Greek and English language.
DESIRABLE QUALITIES AND SKILLS:
Demonstration of evidence for one or more of the following qualities and skills will be considered as a significant advantage in the evaluation of the candidates' applications:
- Organizational and managerial skills in a laboratory environment.
- Ability to communicate efficiently with colleagues in problem-solving.
- Team-working skills and the ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision.
Applicants are not required to be citizens of the Republic of Cyprus.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The duration of employment will be for one (1) year, with the potential for a renewal for a further one (1) year. The salary for the part-time work (110 hours/month) will equal to € 1458/month (gross salary). The programme does not provide a 13th salary. Candidates must be able to start their employment on Monday 6th of May 2019 (with some flexibility on the exact date).
Potential candidates are requested to submit the following documentation in Greek or English, by Thursday, 18th of April 2019 (end of day):
- A letter of interest for the post, in which the candidates will explain why they believe are able to cover the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae with a description of previous experience and training.
- Copies of degrees & diplomas or relevant certificates.
- Contact details of at least two academics from whom letters of recommendation may be requested.
Applications must be sent electronically in PDF or Word format to the Programme Coordinator, Dr. Nikolas Dietis, at firstname.lastname@example.org by the above deadline, with the subject "START: Post Graduate Position".
Applicants that meet the necessary qualifications will be invited by email on Friday, 19th of April 2019 for an interview which will take place on Tuesday, 23th of April 2019, at a time and location to be determined.
For more information about the SRART program and the advertised position, please email the Programme Coordinator Dr.
Nikolas Dietis at email@example.com.