Volunteer Summer Upgrading Camp Counsellor
Position: Volunteer Summer Upgrading Camp Counsellor (6 positions)
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Naryn, Kyrgyzstan and Khorog, Tajikistan
Deadline: 22 April 2019
The University of Central Asia (UCA) will be holding it fifth Summer Upgrading Camp in 2019 for 80 students from Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and Tajikistan on both campuses: for Grade 9 students in Naryn, Kyrgyzstan and for Grade 10 students in Khorog, Tajikistan. The Camps will be primarily academic in focus, with the majority of the participants’ day spent studying English, mathematics and science. There will be classes in the mornings and in the afternoons, with some time allocated for extracurricular activities during intervals and in the evenings.
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The Summer Upgrading Camp Counsellors are integral to the successful camp experience. Their role is varied and multi-dimensional. They serve as mentors, role models, facilitators and teaching assistants during the participants’ educational journey. Counsellors will be required to undertake a pre-camp training held in both Naryn and Khorog campuses prior to the Camp start. This will include cultural sensitivity training; an introduction to the Faculty and Counsellors’ role in supporting the Faculty; and an orientation. Debriefing sessions will also be conducted after the Camp when Counsellors can provide their feedback about their experiences and lessons learned.
- 25-28 June 2019 – Pre-camp training (on-site)
- 1-19 July 2019 – Summer Camp (on-site)
- 20-21 July 2019 – Debriefing (on-site)
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The role of the Summer Camp Counsellor will be to organise and lead the non-academic activities such as sports, team building exercises and field trips. The Counsellors will also provide in-class support to the teachers on a rotational basis and will be responsible for supervising and mentoring a group of 8 participants.
Sample duties of a counsellor might include:
- Supervising, living alongside, and caring for participants in a dorm
- Facilitating workshops
- Assisting teachers with class preparation, and occasionally delivery
- Designing and leading evening programmes
- Providing feedback and advice to participants in conversations, formal one-on-one meetings, and at meals and throughout the day
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from a recognised university, or currently studying for a Bachelor’s Degree
- Fluent English speaker
- Some experience of teaching ESL/Math is highly desirable; some teaching and tutoring experience in general
- Experience working with large groups of children/teenagers; experience mentoring children or young adults would be an asset
- Previous experience being a Counsellor at summer camps/youth programmes would be an asset
- Experience organising youth recreational or sports activities is desirable
- Proven leadership qualities, group facilitation experience and ability to work as part of a team
- Enthusiastic, engaging and inspiring attitude towards working with young adults
Reports to Summer Upgrading Camp Director, and works closely with Camp Faculty and staff in the School of Arts and Sciences.
The Counsellor’s role is a voluntary position; all costs for accommodation, board and transport will be covered.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and a cover letter, detailing your interest, experience and motivation for this position, to email@example.com. Interviews will take place over Zoom/Skype. If you have any questions, please get in touch at the above email address. The deadline to receive applications is Monday, April 22nd 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Review other job vacancies at: http://www.ucentralasia.org/About/CurrentVacancies.