Associate Professor/Lecturer in Applied Mathematics
DEPARTMENT: Department of Mathematical Sciences
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Applied Mathematics
POSITION TITLE: Associate Professor/Lecturer
LOCATION: SUZHOU, JIANGSU PROVINCE, P.R. CHINA
SALARY: The salary range for the Lecturer is Lecturer 5: 27,115-29,866RMB (with the opportunity to go to 33,222RMB based on performance and evaluations), and for Associate Professor is 33,726-36,377RMB (with the opportunity to go to 39,867RMB based on performance and evaluations).
POSITION OPEN DATE: April 2 2019
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: JUNE 30 2019
JOB ID: 995510C
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution, the first and currently the only university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has over 10,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP), well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
Born with Xian Jiaotong-Liverpool University in 2006 with 1 member, in 12 years the Department of Mathematical Sciences has grown into a vibrant department with 80 academic members from 12 countries. We have expertise in teaching that compares well with the best in the world. We have also accumulated talents who are conducting good research ranging from applied mathematics, pure mathematics, physics, financial mathematics, probability and statistics, and actuarial science.
The Department of Mathematical Sciences at the Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU, http://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/) invites strong applications for Lecturers and Associate Professors to begin September 1, 2019.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
We are looking for future colleagues from candidates in all fields of pure mathematics, who can
- teach undergraduate and graduate courses; contribute to course and curriculum development; undertake student research supervision,
- develop a coherent research agenda that leads to publications in leading journals,
- actively seek external research funding,
- provide administrative service to the department and university committees.
- Self-motivated for effective teaching
- Passionate for research work in applied mathematics
- Strong team-work spirit
- A PhD degree in mathematics or a closely aligned discipline is required.
- For non-Chinese applicants, two years, full time, same subject teaching in a college/university after the highest degree is required by the Chinese work permit policy.
- Research experience in differential Equations, scientific computing, numerical analysis, uncertainty quantification, dynamic system, machine learning, optimization, and other areas in applied mathematics.
- Experience in conducting research supported by national level research funds.
- Experience in academic programme design and development.
- Experience in design and implementation of digital and internet education.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s educational and medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is also provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday”, depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised that applicants over 55 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application to AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. In the subject line write the Positon you are applying for and quote the job ID number for reference.
Application packages must be organized and submitted in a single pdf file that includes five (5) parts in the order of:
- A cover letter specifying the level, category applied for and your justification
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- A Research Plan
- Teaching Philosophy
- Names, Phone numbers and Emails of 3 reference providers with at least one provider who can comment on your teaching if you are applying for a Lecturer position.
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above. Informal enquiries about the positions and the department may be addressed to Head of Department of Mathematical Sciences, Professor Gemai Chen (Email: Gemai.Chen@xjtlu.edu.cn). Other informal enquiries may be addressed to the Staff Management Team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.