Technician Hub Retail Technical Support Analyst
Job Req ID: 15196
Johns Hopkins Tech Hub Retail Technical Support Analyst
General Position Summary:
This is a unique opportunity to participate in the opening of a new Johns Hopkins owned retail technology store (the “Johns Hopkins Tech Hub”) selling Apple, Microsoft, and Dell products and accessories to Johns Hopkins faculty, staff, and students. As a Retail Technical Support Analyst, you will responsible for delivering an exceptional technology experience to Johns Hopkins constituents for purchasing or servicing products available either in-store or through traditional Hopkins purchasing methods. To service customers, the incumbent will need to be well versed in current mobile computing technologies and familiar with how these devices integrate and perform in the Hopkins computing environment. The individual will be certified in hardware repair on a variety of platforms and will possess the tools and knowledge to provide repair services when needed.
Work under guidance and direction. Once priorities are set, perform tasks with regular process updates. First level of support for walk-up customers (staff, faculty, and students) and/or departmental customers. Device management complexity is typically entry level. Demonstrated ability to provide good customer service. Tasks are simple in nature (i.e., working with single devices or device types, or simple software, or handling one customer at a time).
• Greet and provide service to customers, faculty, staff, and students in a friendly, respectful, and helpful manner, including assisting customers with purchase selections.
• Assist customers who are experiencing procedural or operational difficulty with the use of technology applications, products, and services in the Johns Hopkins computing environment.
• Provide exemplary hands-on technical assistance and effectively troubleshoot problems based on learned knowledge.
• Troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software problems (including mobile devices and peripherals) by following documentation and by using appropriate diagnostic tools to provide solutions to customer.
• Keep current on supported technology to maintain knowledgebase and skills.
• Document instructions for using various hardware and software for customers.
• Provide specialized training when needed.
• Provide technical support in the use of computing devices, software products and operations by responding to customers as needed.
• Complete requests as assigned by meeting agreed to delivery dates to ensure customer satisfaction. Interact with outside vendors on a regular basis and maintain warranty certification for Apple, Dell and HP.
• Process sales transactions accurately and according to established procedures.
• In cooperation with the Tech Hub leadership team maintain positive, ongoing relationships with campus contacts and continue to develop new contacts through campus outreach initiatives.
• Assist with routine store inventory and fiscal year-end store inventory procedures.
• Provide deliveries of products (as needed and appropriate) to customers residing on the Johns Hopkins East Baltimore campus.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Additional experience can be substituted for education.
- One year related experience.
- Additional education can be substituted for experience.
- Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits or 18 graduate degree credits = 1 year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college coursework may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Knowledge in the assigned IT environments.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Possess all requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities as posted in the supplemental section.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues.
- Write and communicate clearly and concisely.
- Possess sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrate exemplary customer service skills
- Ability to repair software, hardware, and operating systems.
- Ability to replace major parts of a PC.
Classified Title: Technical Support Analyst
Working Title: Johns Hopkins Tech Hub Retail Technical Support Analyst
Role/Level/Range: ATO 40/E/02/OF
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday; 8:30am - 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10000023-IT@JH Client Technology Solutions
Personnel area: University Administration
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
School of Medicine - East Baltimore Campus