Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Who We Are
Caltech is more than a world-renowned research and education institution, it is a community of curious, passionate individuals who work together to understand and solve the world’s complex problems. Caltech has an extraordinary impact, with 39 Nobel Prizes awarded to faculty and alumni.
Caltech is an award-winning workplace and one of the best places to work in the greater Los Angeles area. We offer an exciting and dynamic work environment, career development opportunities, competitive pay programs, great benefits, and the opportunity to participate in many campus programs and activities.
People choose to work at Caltech for many reasons, and the casual, employee-centric culture often leads to fulfilling, long-term careers and lasting relationships. We seek the best and brightest talent to join our workforce and become members of our community. Exceptional employees are critical to Caltech’s success.
IPAC provides science operations, user support, data and archive services, and scientific vision to maximize discovery with some of the world’s largest space telescopes and ground based observatories. We are partners with NASA, NSF, JPL, and the international research community to advance the exploration of our Universe. Over our three-decade history, we have provided a range of support for more than 20 astronomy missions. Scientists from all over the world use our online archives to explore the origins of our Universe, figure out how stars are formed, discover new planets, and detect the next potentially hazardous asteroid.
Where You Fit In
IPAC is seeking a part time Financial Analyst to join our small finance team. This is a 20 hour/week benefits eligible position, with the potential of becoming a full time position in the future. We are a small team, so we cross train our staff in accounting and proposal support in order to cover each other during absences. A large part of this job is problem solving. We are looking for someone with excellent critical thinking skills, and a high level of inquisitiveness and initiative.
The successful candidate will assist in the following activities:
- Perform complex budgeting and financial analysis for IPAC’s 100+ grants and projects
- Design and implement improved reporting mechanisms and financial models to analyze the financial viability of our operations
- Forecast, analyze, and prepare complex financial data for programs and provide recommendations on program changes
- Research, analyze, and develop internal controls and procedures for financial operations and management
- Develop and analyze management reports and participate in special accounting projects as needed
- Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations
- Coordinate and implement policies and procedures applicable to the installation of improved financial operating systems
- Generate timely accurate monthly financial variance reports
- Generate monthly workforce reports
- Support proposal preparation and submission
- Implement and adjust as directed labor schedules for IPAC staff
- Work with JPL to prepare and generate requisitions
- Process credit card payments such as page charges for journal papers
- Process cost transfers, labor distribution adjustments, and suspense corrections
- Cross train processing proposals
- Support conference revenue and purchases for booths
- Update contract management funding database
- Document and update procedures in online procedures manual
- Assist with ad hoc duties as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or other related field, or equivalent experience in a related field
- 2 or more years of experience with financial and business functions
- Proficiency in Excel
- Proficiency with word processing and email applications such as MS Word and MS Outlook
- The selected candidate must pass a pre-employment background investigation to be hired for this position
- Skill and experience in analysis and problem solving
- A positive self-motivated attitude
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to “translate” business and financial language to scientists and engineers, and vice-versa
- Proficiency in organizing online files and working with shared files
- Experience with academic financial systems. Experience with Caltech or JPL financial systems is a plus
- Familiarity with the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and its implications for contracts in a research or academic environment
- Experience with Federal Grants proposal processing and financial management
- Cover Letter