Director of Payroll / Payroll Tax
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
The Division of Finance is responsible for an array of centralized financial functions of the University. Our various departments are responsible for administrative services that support financial accounting and disbursement activities, research administration, external and internal investments, cash and debt management, risk management and student registration and financial aid. http://www.finance.upenn.edu/default.asp
This position reports directly to the Associate Comptroller, Tax and International Operations. This position will have the responsibility for leading the development and implementation of policies, practices, and functional systems for the Workday Payroll Process. This leadership role is necessary to ensure proactive implementation of enhancements to the University’s HCM systems as well as directing the ongoing payroll processes and analysis. As a subject matter expert with deep functional knowledge of payroll, is responsible for the long-term and short-term planning for functional issues with University-wide impact. The Director oversees the execution of on-time and accurate payrolls, supervises the payroll team in preparing payrolls, and ensures compliance with state and federal tax laws and regulations.
The Director must have strong analytical skills to identify and timely resolve issues arising from the Workday Payroll process flow as well as to identify and implement process improvements. Additionally, this individual must have strong collaboration skills to work with other leaders within the Division of Human Resources and across the University to ensure appropriate communications and handling of payroll related matters.
The Director will lead and transform the Payroll Office from a transaction oriented focus to one of decision support and deep analytics while providing guidance relative to effective processes and strategies.
Directs and develops the Payroll team, facilitating opportunities to improve individual capability and manage performance against changing job responsibilities, resulting from the Workday HCM implementation, and Division goals.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Direct, manage, and coach the Payroll Manager & Payroll Tax Manager in the implementation of on-going, recurring responsibilities related to the day-to-day and project specific activities of the Payroll functions following domestic laws/regulations and University policies, procedures, and guidelines; as well as regular Workday enhancements
- Reengineer current policies and procedures for Workday environment including all payroll/tax processing as well as develop and maintain procedures for effective and efficient customer service and communications to schools and centers for US payroll/tax matters
- Development and maintenance of training manuals/website format as guidance to Penn community in all areas of US payroll/tax (including Nonresident Alien compliance)
- Direct Penn’s compliance with various tax rules and regulations regarding reporting taxable income and related withholdings for payments made to employees, students, and others
- Directs the activities of Workday Payroll functionality as a component of an enterprise human capital management (HCM) system.
- Serves as a University-wide expert resource for all Workday payroll matters within the HCM, payroll functions.
- Manages and ensures compliance with various state and local laws and regulations for multi-state payroll activities.
- Ensures and facilitates the review and assessment of Workday payroll practices and procedures for operational effectiveness and compliance
- Leads the documentation of business requirements, configuration, testing, data validation and ongoing maintenance of Workday Payroll systems
- Partner with technology, HR, SRFS, and Finance teams to develop, maintain and trouble-shoot payroll, HCM and Workday related systems integrations and technology processes
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.