Our lab’s main research focus is understanding the mechanisms by which the oncogenic Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infects and immortalizes primary human B and epithelial cells. We primarily focus on virus/host interactions in B cells including innate tumor suppressor signaling, survival signaling, gene expression control, and biochemistry of viral transcription factors. A new project in the laboratory will focus on the specificity of antibodies produced by EBV-positive lymphoma cells.
The individual occupying this position will:
- primarily assist with the expression and purification of antibodies from B-cell lymphomas
- assist lab personnel with ordering
- be responsible for maintaining lab organization
- Perform a variety of complex technical duties involved in conducting biological and other research laboratory experiments to obtain data for research purposes; compile, analyze, document and draw tentative conclusions from experimental results.
- Confer with principal investigator to review work assignments and develop plans for research experiments; make minor modifications to existing laboratory procedures and techniques to meet the needs of the particular equipment as required.
- Review laboratory methods manual, scientific journals, abstracts and other literature for information applicable to research experiments.
- Clone and test various expression constructs for antibody screening by proteomic array, ELISA, immunofluorescence microscopy, and flow cytometry.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material, supplies and equipment for performance of duties; clean and maintain laboratory equipment.
- Determine and set up instruments, material and apparatus and operate laboratory equipment required for specific experiments.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
- Up to two years’ experience working in a research laboratory, ideally in the area of protein biochemistry, is strongly preferred. This would include basic protein purification techniques.
- Experience should also include standard molecular biology techniques including molecular cloning, DNA, RNA, and protein analysis.
- Experience with computational molecular analysis such as design of vector maps, oligos for PCR/cloning, and QPCR analysis is a plus, but not essential.
- Experience with computational approaches to analyzing next generation sequencing data sets (eg RNA-Seq) is a plus, but not essential.
- Experience with cell culture is a plus, but not essential.
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Family Level 08
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology,psychology or other directly related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE