Postdoctoral Fellow at the Waterpower Laboratory
About the position
We have a vacancy for a post-doctoral research fellow at the Waterpower laboratory.
The work will be related to research tasks in the EU project HydroFlex. The work will primarily be linked to investigating the possibility for mitigating discharge fluctuations from hydropower plants into rivers, with the intention of increasing the flexibility of the hydropower plants at the same time maintaining or improving the ecological state of the water courses. For more information on the HydroFlex project, visit the project web site: https://www.h2020hydroflex.eu
The appointment is for 2 years.
The head of the Department is Professor Terese Løvås. The positions day-to-day project management and supervision is by Associate Professor Pål-Tore Storli.
Tasks will be (but not limited to):
- Develop simulation code for simulations of load changes, load rejection and start up at specific hydropower plants including new infra structure to mitigate the flow from the power plant
- Implement simulations of existing components and governing of such to investigate if existing technologies can be used or if technological development is needed
- Dissemination of results and external and internal communication for the project, as well as project management
A postdoctoral research fellowships is a qualification position in which the main objective is qualification for work in academic positions. Completion of a Norwegian doctoral degree within the field of mechanical-hydraulic domains of hydropower or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree is required.
- Applied knowledge on system dynamics in a hydropower plant system and turbine models and characteristics
- Good knowledge of simulation tools, in particular MatLab
- Experience from mechanical- hydraulic measurement performed both in laboratory and field
- Good written and oral English skills. Norwegian language skills are beneficial and will count positive
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, postdoctor and research assistant
The successful candidate must:
- Be structured, targeted and solution oriented
- Have experience in/motivation to work interdisciplinary
- Have good dissemination skills
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
Postdoctoral candidates are remunerated in code 1352, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 515 200 before tax per year. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
Appointment takes place on the terms that apply to State employees at any time, and after the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to Associate Professor Pål-Tore Storli, tlf. 97782146, e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the application:
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters.
Please refer to the application number IV-135/19 when applying.
Application deadline: 05.04.2019.
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Energy and Process Engineering
We conduct research and teaching covering the entire energy chain, from resources to the end-user. We look at how energy is produced and used by humans and machines in a sustainable way with regard to health, climate change and the resource base. The Department of Energy and Process Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Duration Fixed Term
Place of service NTNU Department of Energy and Process Engineering