Postdoc Position in Learning Technologies
About the position
We have a vacancy for a 100% Postdoc position at the Department of Computer Science (IDI) at Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (IE).
The position reports to the Head of the department.
The candidate will be a member of the Information Systems and Software Engineering research group and work with the "Learn2Analyze: An Academia-Industry Knowledge Alliance for enhancing Online Training Professionals’ Competences in Educational Data Analytics" project (http://www.learn2analyze.eu/).
The successful candidate will work with the following task:
- Assist in the design and development of the Learn2Analyze MOOC
- Plan and conduct empirical evaluation of the Learn2Analyze MOOC
- Analyze collected data and write up project reports and research articles related to Learn2Analyze
- Assist in the administrative tasks of the Learn2Analyze project
The position requires strong English oral and writing skills as the candidate will be interacting with a team of international researcher. The job will include providing several progress reports in English.
If the applicant's PhD is not from an English-speaking country, the following tests can be used as documentation: TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A
A postdoctoral research fellowship is a qualification position in which the main objective is qualification for work in academic positions. Completion of a Norwegian doctoral degree in learning technologies, learning analytics or equivalent is required, or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree is required.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant.
The candidates should have the following qualifications:
- Hands-on experience with Learning Analytics, Information Visualization and Data Science tools and techniques
- Web development and data analysis programming skills
- Good understanding of quantitative and qualitative analysis methods
- Demonstrated research capability via a good publications record
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
The following qualifications will be considered as an advantage:
- Expertise with MOOC learning analytics
- Experience with participation in research projects (e.g., EU, national)
Emphasis will be put on personal qualities and potential as a researcher. High importance will also be attached to personal communication and cooperation skills.
Potential successful candidate will be interviewed via Skype or other means.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Proven ability to work independently as well as in teams
- Strong motivation to contribute to good working and social environment
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
Postdoctoral candidates are remunerated in code 1352, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 515 200 before tax per year. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 2 years without required duties.
Appointment takes place on the terms that apply to State employees at any time, and after the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to Michail Giannakos, e-mail: email@example.com
Or the Head of the department Professor John Krogstie, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the application:
The application must contain:
- One-page cover letter including an explanation of how your research interests and background would fit the position
- Information about education and relevant experience (academic CV)
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and certificates
- Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grading system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree
- A short essay (up to 2000 words) describing his/her view of the main research challenges in learning technologies
- The PhD thesis and other publications (Max 5) relevant to the research scope and any other work which the applicant wishes to be taken into account should clearly indicate the applicant's contribution
- Names and contact information of at least two references
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters.
Please refer to the application number 2019/9086 when applying.
Application deadline: 23.04.2019
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Computer Science
We are the leading academic IT environment in Norway, and offer a wide range of theoretical and applied IT programmes of study at all levels. Our subject areas include hardware, algorithms, visual computing, AI, databases, software engineering, information systems, learning technology, HCI, CSCW, IT operations and applied data processing. The Department has groups in both Trondheim and Gjøvik. The Department of Computer Science is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Trondheim