Perform a variety of activities related to the transportation of patients, specimens and equipment. Greet and assist patients and visitors at hospital and clinics as directed.
- Transport patients to and from clinical, ancillary and support areas via wheelchair, stretcher or van service as requested to include transport of patients with oxygen tanks, intravenous pumps, drips and special equipment.
- Assist clinical personnel in transferring patients to and from beds, wheelchairs or stretcher as requested.
- Assist people in and out of vehicles and escort or transport them to and from hospital lobby: carry luggage, open doors and obtain messenger service for the transportation of people to other hospital locations.
- Approach, greet and offer assistance and direction to customers entering the hospital.
- Assist in the loading and unloading of patients onto ambulances and vans during periods of PRT non-service.
- Collect specimens, orders, requisitions and equipment and deliver items to appropriate destinations.
- Assist in maintaining order and cleanliness in hospital lobby and entrance.
- Assist nursing staff with removal of expired bodies from units and transport to morgue.
- Participates in the training of new employees.
- Ensure patient is properly identified before transporting.
- Ensure equipment is clean and working properly.
- May transport to the OR, assist in room turnover and confirm OR packet is signed Confirm method of transport and special needs.
- Attend educational programs as directed.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Requires good verbal communication skills to interact with patient, families' doctors and clinical staff.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Requires much walking, lifting and physical exertion.
- Operation of machines and equipment.
- Ability to lift, push or pull 100-200 pounds.
- Requires full range of motion.
- The ability to transport patients to various hospital locations is also required.
Level Characteristics N/A
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Family Level B1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires the ability to follow and provide instructions to the public generally equivalent to a high school education.
No experience required.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
BCLS certification must be maintained/completed by the end of the orientation period.A valid North Carolina driver's license may also be required.