Research Officer in Physics
- Work focus on theoretical and computational models properties and its materials
- Opportunity to be part of ARC Centre of Excellence in Exciton Science
- Report directly to Professor Salvy Russo and group of established researchers
- Full-time, fixed term contracting opportunities
- Competitive salary + 17% superannuation
- Strategically located city campus location with modern facilities
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
RMIT was named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality (EOCGE) from the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) in 2018 based on significant progress made in 2017, and Gold Employer status in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in recognition of our commitment to celebrating the diverse genders, sexes and sexualities (DGSS) of our community.
The School of Science provides over 45 bachelor and postgraduate programs, and undertakes world class research across the disciplines of physical sciences, mathematical sciences and computer science. The School has staff, students and facilities on both the City and Bundoora campuses, has 300 staff, 327 higher degree research students, 3347 coursework students and an annual budget of $120 million.
Details relating to the School can be found at www.rmit.edu.au/about/our-education/academic-schools/science/
You will join the RMIT Theoretical Chemical and Quantum Physics research group working under the ARC Centre of Excellence in Exciton Science (ACEx) to conduct research that focus on theoretical and computational models of exciton transport, generation and recombination, optical and electronic properties of excitonic and photovoltaic materials. In addition, you will provide support through supervising undergraduate and postgraduate research projects and be accountable for the day-to-day operations of the group.
Further details regarding the Centre of Excellence can be found at http://www.excitonscience.com
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work independently as well as collaboratively contributing in quality research showcasing research areas via publications, development of new research initiatives, presentation of research findings through conferences and forums and contribute to competitive research funding
- Research, analyse and develop & apply the use of modern machine learning methods through various programming and atomic scale modelling techniques
- Contribute 10% of your time to mentor & supervise undergraduate and postgraduate as part of your coursework teaching activities
Skills & Experience Required
- PhD qualified in Physics, Theoretical Physical Chemistry or Computer Science
- Experience in the development and application of modern machine learning methods applied to the prediction of electronic/ optical properties of new photovoltaic materials
- Knowledge of abinito modelling methods such as density functional theory (TDDFT/DFT) and quantum chemistry methods
- Proven ability to innovate, investigate and solve complex problems in theoretical physics and data analysis in a logical & creative manner via various methods & approaches
- Strong mathematical and/or computer programming skills
- Excellent social, written and communication skills with the ability to manage time in order to meet competing deadlines
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices
- Flexible working arrangements
- Be part of RMIT's academic life and attend various events and workshops
- Access to free fitness classes
- 2% salary increase each year and annual leave loading of 1.35%
- MYKI pass discount
- Additional annual leave
To find out more, please visit our website: RMIT Employee Benefits
For further information, and to view the position description visit http://yourcareer.rmit.edu.au and search using job reference number 575233.
Applications close on Sunday 14th April 2019
Applicants are requested to separately address the key selection criteria as outlined in the Position Description. This role will require satisfactory confirmation of a Working with Children Check.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to be a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.