Research Fellow in Natural Products Chemistry
- Salary Package: Level B from $103,914 - $122,947 (pro rata) p.a., plus 9.5% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading
- Appointment Type: Part-time (28 hours per week), fixed term for one year
- Macquarie University (North Ryde) location
The Department of Molecular Sciences is currently seeking a suitably qualified Research Fellow in Natural Products Chemistry to lead the natural products research activities of two industry-led Cooperative Research Centres Projects (BioAustralis: Towards the Future and The Probio-TICK initiative). Reporting to Dr Andrew Piggott, and working closely with industry partner Microbial Screening Technologies,
- Coordinate the natural products research activities of two industry-led CRC-P projects
- Acquire and interpret spectroscopic data for the characterisation of microbial natural products
- Elucidate the structures of new and known microbial natural products
The Department of Molecular Sciences in the Faculty of Science and Engineering is a research-intensive department of academics and students who study and teach chemistry and molecular cell sciences. The focus of our academics is at the exciting molecular science interfaces with chemistry, biology and materials. Our students gain cross-disciplinary perspectives while developing discipline specific skills in chemistry and biomolecular science. We apply this philosophy of studying “molecules to cells” to achieve a sustainable environment, understand health and disease, develop materials and advance new molecular technologies. Research and teaching strength in molecular science includes analytical chemistry, biochemistry, biotechnology, cellular biology, medicinal chemistry, microbiology, molecular biology and genomics, synthetic biology, organic/inorganic synthesis, proteomics, protein chemistry, physical chemistry. Click here to find out more about the Department of Molecular Sciences.
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives. Since our foundation 54 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university. Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. Connect with us today.
To be considered for this position, please apply online by submitting your cv and a separate cover letter that demonstrates how you meet the following selection criteria:
- A PhD in Natural Products Chemistry
- At least 5 years of postdoctoral experience in the area of Natural Products Chemistry
- Extensive experience with structure elucidation of small-molecule microbial natural products
- Extensive experience operating high-field NMR instruments
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Experience working with industry partners/collaborators
- Experience supervising HDR research students
- Knowledge of microbial biosynthetic pathways.
Specific Role Enquiries: Dr Andrew Piggott at Andrew.email@example.com
General Recruitment Enquiries: Anne Kumanan, HR Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: Sunday 14th April 2019 at 11:55 pm
Macquarie University is committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. We value individual difference and recognise the strength of a vibrant, diverse and inclusive workforce where the backgrounds, perspectives and experiences of our staff are a driving force for collaboration, innovation and impact.
We work to ensure genuine equality of opportunity for people regardless of their gender, age, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and/or family status, and we encourage you to apply for a position at Macquarie University.