Astronomical Data Analyst
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
We seek to hire an intern with physics/astronomy/computer science experience to work on the Census of the Local Universe (CLU) survey. The intern will work on analyzing new candidate transient events in the local universe from ZTF (Zwicky Transient Facility) stream and undertake follow-up characterization with the GROWTH (Global Relay of Observatories Watching Transients Happen) project.
- Monitor the ZTF alert stream for new candidate transients in the local universe
- Undertake spectroscopic follow-up with Palomar Observatory and other telescopes in the GROWTH network
- Analyze spectroscopic data and classify the transient events
- Contribute to various papers on all types of transients in the local universe
- Bachelor's Degree in Physics or Astronomy or Computer Science
- Some programming experience in python
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to regularly undertake night-time data collection with telescopes