Arabic Writing Specialist
Department Name Student Learning Support Center
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Student Affairs contributes to the educational mission of Qatar University by providing innovative opportunities, quality programs, and efficient services that enrich the students’ learning experience and their personal development.
Qatar University was founded in 1973 and is a member of the Arab Universities Federation and the International Federation of Universities. Qatar University offers Foundation programs as well as Undergraduate and Graduate degree programs to over 8,000 enrolled students. Please visit the QU website (www.qu.edu.qa) to learn more about our degree programs, our research, university facilities, and campus life.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide support to students of all levels and disciplines on a variety of writing assignments and projects in the Arabic language, such as creative writing, lab reports, research papers, theses, resumes and job search correspondence, proposals, and freshman compositions.
- Teach /Explain grammar, sentence structure, essay formats, and other elements related to Arabic writing that students may lack/ may have difficulty with.
- Develop and conduct writing workshops/programs and in-class writing presentations on a variety of topics.
- Create new, targeted programs to support students with low levels of Arabic Writing proficiency
- Create new, and identify/ revise existing, paper and electronic Writing skills resources for students.
- Track individual students’ progress and regularly communicate with faculty on student Writing needs.
- Maintain individual student files.
- Recruit, supervise, and train new qualified peer tutors.
- Schedule, oversee, and evaluate peer-tutoring staff.
- Refer students to other campus support services such as the Academic Support Section, the Student Counselling Center, Library, etc., when appropriate.
- Participate in committees designated with specific tasks such as event planning and updating the e-newsletter and social media outlets.
- Support in the implementation of the operational plan for the section in the line with center’s strategy.
- Participate in SLSC writing and language support events.
- Participate in New Student Orientation and college orientation sessions.
- Assist in the development and delivery of SLSC marketing campaigns.
- Perform other tasks and duties that may be occasionally required in order to meet the requirements of the role and the aims of the University.
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in teaching Arabic Language and/or Literature or a related field. Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Curriculum Vitae with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.