Associate Professor / Lecturer Location and Post Production Sound
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR/LECTURER LOCATION AND POST PRODUCTION SOUND
DEPARTMENT: School of Film and Television Arts
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Sound Recording and Mixing (location and studio based)
POSITION TITLE: Associate Professor/Lecturer
LOCATION: (SUZHOU CAMPUS)
SALARY: 28,927 – 39,867 RMB/month
POSITION OPEN DATE: 25 March 2019
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 19 April 2019
JOB ID: 995765
CONTRACT TYPE: 3-year
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has over 10,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP), well connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
Brief summary of the department. The JC-School of Film and Television Arts was built on the departmental strengths in communication and culture. With the addition of a film school and training in practical filmmaking and the creative arts, the School is developing a mix of practice, analysis, research, creativity and industry engagement with the film, television and creative industry sectors in China and internationally. The School currently offers programmes in Communication Studies, Digital Media Arts, Film and TV Production and Filmmaking at UG level and Media and Communication at PG level.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Coordinate and deliver sound recording and mixing modules across a range of digital media arts, film and television production, communication studies and filmmaking subject areas.
- Prepare content and lesson plans for module delivery
- Curriculum development
- Supervise and/or advise honors and postgraduate students in their research and course work.
- Contribute to the further development of the Department’s programmes, in particular the advancement of interdisciplinary teaching and research.
- The successful applicant will have skills and experience in sound recording and postproduction sound and have a track record in professional sound recording, sound design and postproduction sound for film and TV. Knowledge of Protools in an Avid environment is important.
- The ability to teach creative approaches to location and post-production sound within a filmmaking and story-telling environment is a priority, with an emphasis on short film production.
- Relevant Masters degree or equivalent experience in the film and television industry
- Teaching experience within a university, college or film school environment
- Excellent working knowledge of ProTools and Audition and location sound recording equipment including mixers and microphones.
- Planning and organisation: the ability to anticipate events, identify desirable outcomes and achieve goals within a specified timeframe.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and work cooperatively in the School.
- The ability to teach creative approaches to filmmaking and storytelling with an emphasis on short film production
- Knowledge of file compressions and post-production audio workflow and management
- Knowledge of video codecs
- Highly developed organisational skills
- High level of verbal and written communication skills
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 55 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application to AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. In the subject line write the Positon you are applying for and quote the job ID number for reference.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Staff Management Team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.