Provost & Vice-President, Academic Affairs
University of Ottawa
The University of Ottawa is a major research university with a full range of programs of study. Founded in 1848, it is now the largest French-English bilingual university in the world, with 10 faculties and 43,000 students registered in undergraduate, graduate and postdoctoral studies. Year after year, it ranks among the leading research universities in Canada, and it aims to be among the top five in the next 10 years.
For more information on the University of Ottawa, visit www.uOttawa.ca/en.
Our client is actively seeking its next
PROVOST & VICE-PRESIDENT, ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
The Provost and Vice-President, Academic Affairs (“Provost”) is, after the President, the most senior administrator in the University and is an important member of the senior executive team. The Provost is currently responsible for ensuring the quality of all academic activities within the University and for leading the development of strategic academic directions, attracting and retaining top professors and students, as well overseeing the design, evaluation and modification of academic programs. The Provost works closely with the President and the Vice-President, Research to ensure the growth and success of the academic mission of the University, and to generate the resources necessary (human, material, and financial) to facilitate achieving the University’s academic goals.
The Provost is in charge of the budget development and management process and has the responsibility and authority to translate the University’s strategic academic goals and priorities into operational and financially viable action plans.
A solid and constructive relationship, based on trust, between the President and the Provost is absolutely key to the success of the University’s goals and ambitions.
Challenges and Opportunities
The University of Ottawa is one of Canada’s leading research universities, committed to offering a full range of academic programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels in a uniquely bilingual environment. The Provost will provide the leadership needed to ensure the consolidation and the expansion of the University’s reputation and standing. The Provost will also be called upon to implement the action plan based on the University’s next strategic framework.
The Provost will work closely with the vice-presidents and the deans as members of the senior administrative team to achieve the objectives set out in the next strategic framework and at the same time foster a sense of common purpose within that group. The Provost will also oversee the budget strategies that will facilitate achieving the University’s academic objectives, within the context of the evolving policies of the Ontario government with respect to funding universities.
Key Experience and Competencies
- An accomplished academic with a solid track record of achievement in teaching and research that will command the respect of faculty, staff and students at the University and academic peers in other institutions within Canada and internationally;
- A passionate believer in the academic mission of universities who is driven to lead the University of Ottawa in building upon and improving its reputation and standing in the global academic community;
- A proven leader who has demonstrated the ability to mobilise and inspire others to action and innovation, to foster excellence at all levels and in all disciplines;
- A track record of success in setting academic priorities and implementing them at the operational level, as well as experience in devising and implementing multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary academic initiatives and projects;
- The skills needed to be a key player in implementing the strategic orientations and action plan of the University’s new strategic framework;
- A high level of commitment to students and to working with students to improve every aspect of the student life and learning experience;
- A seasoned administrator who understands the financial and administrative issues that must be given consideration when making academic decisions and choices and who can take far-sighted initiatives from the conceptual stage to implementation;
- The financial acumen needed to play a leadership role in translating the University’s strategic academic goals and priorities into operational and financially viable action plans;
- A team builder and player who works constructively to achieve results and to motivate others to do their best;
- An excellent communicator who can explain and present complex concepts and issues to different audiences both within and outside the university;
- A person of the highest integrity who is committed to values of academic freedom, diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- The ability to communicate effectively in French and English is a requirement.
If you believe you have the profile we are seeking, please forward your résumé with a letter explaining your interest by completing the “Registration Form”. We invite interested candidates to review the Procedure for the Appointment of a Vice-President or the Secretary of the University prior to submitting their candidacy. All information received will be treated in the strictest confidence. We appreciate the interest of every candidate; however, only those selected for the next step in the process will be contacted.
The Selection Committee will begin consideration of candidates in February 2019 and continue its work until the position is filled.
The University of Ottawa is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities. In keeping with Citizenship and Immigration Canada requirements, all qualified persons are invited to apply; however, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The University of Ottawa is proud of its over 160-year tradition of bilingualism. At the time of their appointment, senior administration team members are expected to have the ability to function in a bilingual (French and English) setting.
Apply for Provost & Vice-President, Academic Affairs
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly