Professor/Associate Professor in Photonic Device Technology
About the position
Department of Electronic Systems (IES) has an international profile and a strong ambition to be a leading research environment within its fields. IES works strategically to strengthen our research activities and is extensively involved in externally funded research programs. The new professorship is established to serve this end.
The professor/associate professor will join the Nanoelectronics and Photonics (NF) Group at IES, which comprises 7 full-time and 3 adjunct professors/associate professors.
Research activities include development of novel photonic sensors, nanoscale materials, and characterization techniques for biomedical and information technology applications. The group’s research portfolio includes photonic (bio)sensors, biomedical optics (hyperspectral imaging, tissue optics, spectroscopy), metamaterials, oxide electronics, nanomagnetism, semiconductor nanowire devices, and MEMS-based device technology.
In addition to our own laboratories at IES, we have good access to well-equipped micro- and nanofabrication facilities at NTNU NanoLab (https://www.ntnu.edu/nano). The successful applicant will strengthen the group’s research activities in photonic device technology.
The position reports to Head of Department.
- The professor/associate professor is expected to play a leading role in research and research-based education in cooperation with existing staff at IES. He/she is also expected to build a research environment of a high international level and to establish collaboration with colleagues at NTNU within the university’s strategic research areas.
- The research activities at the department rely to a large extent on external funding, and development of educational programs may also receive external funding. The successful applicant is expected to engage extensively in applications for external research funding, e.g. from the Research Council of Norway, European research and educational agencies, the industry sector, and other available sources.
- The professor/associate professor will contribute to the department’s educational profile and an excellent learning environment in collaboration with colleagues, students and external stakeholders. She/he should supervise MSc students, PhD candidates and postdoctoral fellows.
- In addition to research and education, the professor/associate professor is expected to disseminate relevant parts of his/her research to a wider audience (public outreach).
- The professor/associate professor will also participate in the management of research, education and other relevant academic activities in agreement with the Head of Department.
- The applicant is required to have a doctoral degree in photonics, physics or electrical engineering. She/he must document extensive scientific qualifications including experimental and theoretical expertise in photonic device technology, such as nanophotonics, (bio)sensors, lab-on-a-chip systems or quantum photonics. The applicant should have the experience and skills required for collaboration on joint interdisciplinary projects.
- The successful candidate is expected to build a research environment of a high international level and to establish collaboration with colleagues at NTNU within the university’s strategic research areas. Her/his research plan should have a long-term perspective and be focused on fundamental research challenges and development of new enabling technologies. Compatibility and complementarity of the proposed research with current research in the department is emphasized.
- The applicant should demonstrate the ability to develop educational activities and further a good learning environment. Industrial experience and relevant collaboration with industry will be considered beneficial. Documented expertise as well as potential for excellence will be considered in the assessment of the candidate.
- Proficiency in the English language must be documented. Proficiency in a Scandinavian language will be rated positively.
Qualifications for the professorship:
To be employed as a full professor, the candidate should be an internationally respected researcher and must have demonstrated capability to initiate and lead research at a high international level. Strong emphasis will be placed on publication of research results in recognized international journals and other relevant publication channels. Production must reflect an independent research profile and show the ability to take up new research issues. The candidate must have international experience. Emphasis is placed on academic work during the past five years and in obtaining external funding for research.
Qualifications for the associate professorship:
For a position as associate professor, strong emphasis will be placed on publication of research results in recognized international journals and other relevant publication channels. Emphasis is placed on academic work during the past five years.
Successful acquisition of external research grants, experience with research leadership and relevant collaboration with industry should be documented and will be rated positively. The candidate should have a research potential which makes it likely to qualify for a full professorship within five years of employment.
Other requirements: .
Pedagogical skills and qualifications will be emphasized. The evaluation will be based on documented material related to teaching, experience in teaching, supervision of doctoral and master’s degree students as well as other types of pedagogical background.
Employees who do not have formal qualifications in teaching at university level and who cannot provide documentation of equivalent qualifications must complete an approved pedagogical development programme within two years of appointment.
The person appointed must comply with the decisions about changes due to developments in the subject area, and the organizational changes that may result from decisions regarding the university's activities.
It is a prerequisite that within three years of appointment new employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language can demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three in the course in Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
Please see the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts for general criteria for the position.
The applicant should demonstrate communicative skills that qualify for excellent collaboration, teaching, supervision and public dissemination.
In the assessment of the best qualified applicant, education, experience and personal suitability will be emphasized, as well as motivation for the position.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The gross salary for the position as professor is normally from NOK 619 300 - 802 600 before tax per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. In special cases the salary can be higher. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The gross salary for the position as associate professor is normally from NOK 515 200 - 631 700 before tax per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
Appointment takes place on the terms that apply to State employees at any time, and after the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The person appointed must live in a location enabling him/her to be present at and available to the institution.
About the application
The application and description of the academic works to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
The application must include:
- CV, including information relevant for the required qualifications for the position and a complete record of publications with bibliographical references
- Certificates and diplomas
- Name, role, telephone number and email address of three references
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works). If these include joint works, your contribution must be described.
- A brief description of the scientific/technological relevance of the candidate’s research
- Research proposal for the first 5 years of employment (up to 10 pages)
- Description of teaching qualifications based on a list of factors ("Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU")
- Details of projects for which you have been project manager, with information about funding, duration, collaborators and size
- Information about public dissemination activities
- Other documents which the applicant finds relevant
- Documentation of proficiency in the English language
Following the application deadline, a shortlist of applicants will be drawn up, and all applicants will be informed whether they are on this shortlist. An international expert committee will evaluate the scientific merits of the shortlisted applicants. The top candidates from this evaluation will be invited by the Faculty for interviews and trial lectures. The final selection process will take into account not only the candidates’ accumulated academic merits, but also assess the applicants’ potential for scientific development and his/her personal qualities. Young researchers are therefore encouraged to apply. Strategic considerations may be taken in the final selection among the candidates.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. NTNU wishes to increase the proportion of women in its academic positions, and women are therefore encouraged to apply.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Submit your application with your CV, diplomas and certificates via jobbnorge.no. Applicants invited for interview must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas.
Mark the application with reference number: 2019/4372.
In the evaluation, export control will be followed according to the Norwegian National regulations for knowledge transfer.
Deadline for applications: 07.04.2019
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Electronic Systems
The digitalization of Norway is impossible without electronic systems. We are Norway’s leading academic environment in this field, and contribute with our expertise in areas ranging from nanoelectronics, phototonics, signal processing, radio technology and acoustics to satellite technology and autonomous systems. Knowledge of electronic systems is also vital for addressing important challenges in transport, energy, the environment, and health. The Department of Electronic Systems is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Jobbnorge ID 165308