Special Scientist, Department of Education
The Department of Education of the University of Cyprus, announces one (1) vacancy for a part time Special Scientist position.
The position will be within the Erasmus+ Key action 3: Support for policy reform - Initiatives for Policy Innovation - Forward-Looking Cooperation Projects, entitled “Promoting Formative Assessment: From Theory to Policy and Practice” (FORMAS). FORMAS is a three-year European research project (2018-2020) which argues for an evidence-based and theory driven approach to national policy on assessment which will not only generate guidelines on how to use assessment for formative reasons but also develop Teacher Professional Development (TPD) mechanisms that can help teachers promote assessment for learning.
- PhD degree in Educational Administration and Evaluation.
- Excellent academic record, testified by the transcript of records and, if relevant, by previous research output (e.g. scientific publications).
- Excellent use of the statistical packages SPSS, EQS, and MLwiN.
- Research interests in a) teacher professional development b) formative assessment c) improving educational effectiveness, d) quantitative research methods, e) quality of teaching.
- Excellent Greek and English writing and communication skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Special Scientist will:
- Work on the research project “Promoting Formative Assessment: From Theory to Policy and Practice” (FORMAS) in order to develop training material for a professional development course for secondary education Mathematics teachers in order to help them improve their skills in student assessment.
- Develop trainer handbooks to support the implementation of the professional development course.
- Develop and implement a “Train the trainer course” for the trainers who will implement the course in the four participating countries.
The successful candidate will work under the supervision of Professor Leonidas Kyriakides. More infor-mation on his research interests, projects and publications can be found in the following web sites: http://ucy.ac.cy/dir/en/component/comprofiler/userprofile/kyriakid
The Special Scientist will receive a part-time position (maximum 2 hours per week) contract from May 6th until August 31st 2019.
The maximum hourly cost of employment for a part-time position (maximum 2 hours per week) can be up to 33.33 Euros. From this amount employer and employee contributions to the various Gov-ernment Funds will be deducted. It is important to note that 13th salary is not provided.
Interested candidates should submit their Applications in English as a single PDF including the following:
- Letter of interest for the position
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of University degrees
- Transcript of records issued by your university listing the exams/courses taken at university, grades/marks awarded and the final degree result
- Copies of additional certificates such as exams, awards etc.
- Copies of publications, if any
The applications as a single PDF (all documents in one pdf-file) should be sent via e-mail to Anastasia Costa-Demetriou by no later than 29 March 2019 (email: email@example.com , subject: “Ap-plication FORMAS”).
For more information please contact: Professor Leonidas Kyriakides (firstname.lastname@example.org, 00357-22892947).
Note: Incomplete applications and applications submitted after the deadline for the submission of applications will not be accepted and evaluated.