Postdoctoral Fellow in Robotics
Organization Name Robotics/Aerospace
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
- Post-Doc Research Fellow to work on the project R4EE.1 “Collaborative Robot Navigation in Harsh Environments” in Khalifa University Center for Autonomous Robotics Systems (KUCARS).
- Khalifa University offers a uniquely collaborative scientific research environment and outstanding research facilities. You will have the opportunity to initiate and lead projects and work in interdisciplinary teams.
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Since the postdoctoral experience is transitional to becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the Postdoctoral tries their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to organize and teach a class or a course if more inclined towards a teaching career.
- To work on the deployment of collaborative robots (a team of UAVs and UGVs) in a fire related urban search and rescue (USAR) scenario. Such environments provide complex robot navigation challenges, such as capability to localize and navigate in reduced visibility conditions (smoke, dust), and cope with cluttered and narrow passages, while working collaboratively with each other. USAR environments also frequently result in disrupted communication frameworks, posing challenges for navigation and collaboration.
The candidate will be working on the following tasks:
- Develop intelligent feature detection, state estimation and data fusion
- Research on robust localization using multi-sensors
- Develop decentralized collaboration approach for heterogeneous robot systems
- Optimized mission planning and decision making development
- Conduct experiments and demo to validate proposed methods
- Publish high-quality journal and international conference papers based on the obtained research results
- PhD in Robotics
- Excellent knowledge and proven expertise in one or combination of the following areas: intillegent data fusion, machine learning for robotics applications and heterogeneous muti-agent colloboration. Also, to have experince in the following:
- Project management experience
- Technical writing skills
- Dealing with external and internal stakeholders
- Professional technical document writing
- Research project planning, coordination and management
Good to have:
- Experience in robotics competitions or science-based competitions
- Experience in participating in robotics competitions
- Strong programming skills in Matlab/C++/Python
- Familiarity with both Windows and Linus operating systems
- Familiarity with real-time systems (e.g. ROS).
How To Apply
You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae)?