At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a qualified and proactive Mechanical Engineer, willing to become an expert in the mechanical design of equipment for one of the world's most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then this opportunity is for you. Join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world! CERN, take part!
You will join the Accelerator Beam Transfer (ABT) group, which is in charge of the design, development, construction, installation, exploitation, and maintenance of all the particle beam injection as well as the extraction that are the related equipment of CERN’s accelerator complex.
These systems consist of:
- Fast pulsed magnets with their triggering systems, and high voltage pulse generators and transmission lines.
- Electric field deflectors and magnetic septa, including high voltage power supplies for electrostatic septa.
- Protection devices and other specialised injection/extraction related systems.
- Associated equipment-level control systems and software.
You will be working in the Engineering, Design & Supply (EDS) section of the group, covering several subdomains of mechanical engineering and joining a multidisciplinary team of experts.
As a Mechanical Engineer, you will contribute to the mechanical engineering of the beam transfer systems' equipment across the entire accelerator complex - which include magnets, pulsed power systems, high voltage subsystems, infrastructure of installations, mechanical components for control systems, and other project-related injection and extraction equipment.
In close collaboration with the experts of the group, you will:
- Take responsibility in all phases of the mechanical design process: conceptual design and calculations, technical design and drawings, specifications and documentation.
- Play an important role in the Design Office after an initial immersion period where you will become familiar with technical details of the equipment and methodology of the entire life-cycle.
- Deliver high quality design drawings to ISO GPS standards in collaboration with a team of designers.
- Participate in the technical specification and follow-up of production of contracts.
- Take responsibility of the integration and alignment of mechanical equipment into its final environment.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in mechanical engineering, or a related field.
- Proven experience in developing mechanical assemblies with 3D CAD software.
- Demonstrated experience in performing structural calculations of complex mechanical structures.
- Initial experience in the use of Finite Elements-based software packages (familiarity with ANSYS workbench is particularly appreciated).
- Initial experience in planning and coordinating the fabrication and assembly of mechanical systems.
- Experience with the supervision of the construction and commissioning of mechanical systems and components would be an advantage.
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models: proficiency in CATIA V5 or equivalent 3D modelling software, advanced knowledge of drawing annotations with ISO GPS standard dimensioning.
- Knowledge of design codes and compliance verification of mechanical equipment: capability to design mechanical equipment or installations from the study phase to operation.
- Design and analysis of mechanical structures: knowledge of static and dynamic structural calculations of complex mechanical structures.
- Assembly of mechanical structures and equipment: knowledge of usual manufacturing methods, processes, and assembly methods.
- Design of electro-mechanical systems: knowledge of the design and construction of high-voltage, under-vacuum, devices would be an advantage.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; identifying, defining, and assessing problems; taking action to address them.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrating accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts; and ability to draw-up technical specifications or scientific reports in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 03.04.2019.
Contract type: limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays, and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Residence in the immediate vicinity of the Organization's installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving license.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: TE-ABT-EDS-2019-16-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further