Job Title : Research Assistant (CCB/009V6)
The Systems Genetics group and laboratory led by Assoc. Prof. Enrico Petretto (https://www.duke-nus.edu.sg/content/petretto-enrico) embedded within the Centre for Computational Biology in Duke-NUS Medical School has substantial expertise in Systems Biology analysis of various omics and next-generation sequencing data, and a substantial computational infrastructure to support next-generation sequencing and Big Data analysis. The main scope of this position is to provide computational and server systems administration support for the laboratory’s computational systems (i.e., server / high-performance computer and network systems) within the overall aim to support large-scale computational research projects within the Centre for Computational Biology.
The selected candidate will provide support to one of the main project relating to the study of the mechanisms of genetic susceptibility to diabetic nephropathy and diabetes complications, using whole-genome sequencing in the Singaporean population.
- Contribute to server systems management and provision of support for technical aspects of server systems maintenance.
- Ensure optimal running of servers and computing equipment (i.e. network switches) in the laboratory by performing upgrading and maintenance of hardware and software, resolving technical issues, overseeing server activity and performance, ensuring server security, and developing and improving systems structures when required.
- Work with research laboratory members, including bioinformaticians and biologists, to support and evaluate the computational and technological needs of the lab, administer the network environment, set up workstations and servers.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Bachelor’s degree Computer Science/Engineering or a relevant area.
- Familiar with Mac, Linux, Ubuntu OS.
- Experience and knowledge in installing, configuring, and maintenance of various types of hardware and software (i.e. creating user accounts, backup and recovery functions).
- Comfortable with working with large databases and files, debugging and testing computer programs, operations systems and components.
- Ability to keep up with technological changes.
- Familiarity with industry best practices for working in and maintaining a secure server environment is a plus.
- Excellent communications (written and oral) skills.
- Strong team player skills and the ability to work harmoniously with a diverse workforce.
For full consideration, interested candidates should submit their curriculum vitae via Duke-NUS Career Portal. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.