Laboratory Research Analyst
Perform a variety of technical duties involved in conducting standardized tests and determinations in support of research oriented activities at the zebra fish facility at Duke University.
Set up instruments, material and apparatus and operate standard laboratory equipment required for specific tests. Prepare culture media, chemicals, reagents and solutions. Assist in the development of new research procedures and techniques. Maintain sufficient inventory of materials, supplies and equipment for performance of duties; clean and maintain standard laboratory equipment. Review work of lower level laboratory personnel and assist in the training of new personnel.
Work responsibilities include:
- Provide support to facility manager and researchers in the daily facility functions.
- Supervise and train technicians and student helpers on required duties.
- Respond to emergency situations (this may include responding at night or on weekends).
- Prepare stock solutions and track inventory necessary for research procedures and fish care.
- Manage quarantine room to ensure bio security measures are being exercised and fish strains are transitioned properly into general holding.
- Coordinate logistics of imported and exported animals.
- Assist in developing or revising standard operating procedures.
- Orient new facility users.
- Feed fish, maintain cultures, and clean tanks as needed.
- Maintain facility cleanliness in tandem with the facility staff.
- Handle requirements of quarterly sanitation testing.
- Record and review daily water monitoring
- Perform daily health checks and work with veterinarians and facility manager to resolve any health abnormalities.
- Ensure facility equipment is maintained, calibrated, and operating correctly.
- Monitor embryo care, survival, and transfer of tanks on to or off of nursery racks.
- Maintenance of common facility wild-type, transgenic, and mutant stocks.
- Participate in bi-weekly staff meetings.
- Contribute ideas on facility improvements regarding equipment,procedures, and techniques.
- Interact and consult with facility users to ensure research goals are being met by the most humane and ethical methods in accordance with approved protocols.
Other duties may be required as necessary. Training will be provided as needed. Occasional weekend and holiday work is required. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification.This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Education/Training:Work requires a bachelor's degree in a field related to the specific position.Experience:Experience with zebra fish or aquarium fish handling is required. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Family Level 11
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology,psychology or other directly related scientific field.
Work requires two years of research experience. A related master's degree may offset required years of experience on a 1:1 basis, e.g., a two year master's degree in lieu of two years of experience.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE