Assistant Director, Scheduling and Events
Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation:
Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (“DAPER”) is the premier intercollegiate athletic program in the country. We are the proud Home of Champions! We lead the nation with 118 NCAA championship titles, completed an unpresented sweep of both the men’s and women’s Capital One Cups, and brought home the Learfield Director’s Cup for 24 straight years. We support nearly 900 student-athletes who compete on 36 intercollegiate athletics teams and also support the university’s physical education, recreation and wellness initiatives. Our dedicated staff embody a culture of excellence, embrace our mission of scholar-athleticism and exemplify a relentless championship spirit. Our actions and staff are guided by the core tenets of the Athletics Department culture, “The DAPER Way”, which are: Embrace Scholar-Athleticism, Pursue and Revere Excellence, Lead with Courage, and Work Cohesively.
Are you ready to inspire champions? If yes, then this may be the right opportunity for you!
Under the supervision of the Assistant Athletics Director Facilities and Operations, the Assistant Director Scheduling and Events schedules and oversees the event management of all Stanford Athletics Recreation facilities. This position works closely with and serves the Recreation and Wellness Department.
Scheduling and Administrative
- Schedule the Stanford Athletics Recreation facilities to include (2) rec centers, (2) soccer fields, (1) sand volleyball court, (1) softball field, (1) multipurpose field using 25 Live and/or other scheduling platforms.
- Create rental agreements and event contracts, cost estimates and invoices. Ensure a digital or hard documentation process is established and maintained for historical reference.
- Provide ongoing and timely communication with all stakeholders while being the main point of contact for all scheduling needs.
- Ensure reservation information is posted in a prominent location at each facility in advance.
- Work with departmental grounds crew for programmatic field needs.
- Oversee event operations to include communication with event contacts, preparation of facility space, documentation and scheduling event staff needs.
- Provide on-site management of events including attendance at any meetings, addressing potential conflict resolution, and problem solving as needed.
- Be a good steward of customer service by effective communication with various stakeholders regarding event and facility operations.
- Serve as main DAPER project leader for large university events such as new student orientation, homecoming, admit weekend, family weekend, commencement, wellness fairs, and late night events.
- Develop, implement and evaluate event day policies and procedures.
- Inspect facilities and event equipment for maintenance, janitorial and all safety issues.
- Investigate, document and report complaints regarding all aspects of operations including customer service, safety/security and staff issues related to events.
- Routine work during normal business hours and work occasional extended hours, evenings and weekends
- Assist with day to day facility operations and annual facility maintenance closures.
- Serve on departmental committees.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with University and/or community representatives and other stakeholders.
- Conference and professional development travel participations (state, regional, and national).
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Candidate must have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in facilities scheduling and event management (in campus recreation or athletics preferred), or relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, time management, and customer service skills. Must be well organized.
- Exceptional customer service skills with the ability to cultivate partnerships.
- Demonstrated high level of confidence in making strategic decisions, good judgment, and innovative and creative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent project management skills, and the ability to manage complex timelines and multiple projects
- Ability to interact and successfully collaborate with a broad spectrum of contributing groups and customers.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite applications such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Experience in online scheduling software (i.e. EMS, 25Live, Fusion, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities in order to perform a high volume of detailed work with constant interruptions while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to be resourceful and creative in problem solving while not sacrificing quality or safety of environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing while professionally representing the university.
- Flexibility when handling changing deadlines and priorities.
- Ability to handle confidential information and carry out tasks in a tactful and professional manner.
- Capable to work with minimal supervision and work independently when needed.
This position, along with all DAPER coaches and staff, is responsible for the integrity of Stanford’s intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. This position is responsible for insuring that his/her involvement with Athletic Department activities maintains the integrity of the University’s reputation and does not negatively impact the relationship between the University and its faculty, staff, students and alumni.
Additionally, this position must comply with University policies and procedures, NCAA and PAC-12 rules and regulations.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for you:
- Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
Freedom to grow.
We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
A caring culture.
We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
A healthier you.
Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
Discovery and fun.
Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to apply:
Please include a cover letter, resume, and three references submitted as a single attachment with your application. All applications must be submitted via Stanford’s Careers webpage at: link to job posting