Special Scientist, Post-doctoral Researcher in Pharmacognosy
Full time employment contract (renewable up to three year)
Position for Postdoc/Special Scientist
The University of Cyprus (www.ucy.ac.cy) invites applications for one full time (1) special scientist to work in the Laboratory of Cancer Biology and Chemoprevention (http://www.ucy.ac.cy/biol/el/research/22-gr-articles/gr-topm/65-andreasioannoucostantinou) as a post-doctoral researcher.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The researcher will be part of a team working on a Research Promotion Foundation funded project that will fuse together extensive interdisciplinary scientific research into the properties of the Cypriot carob fruits. The objectives of the project span the entire spectrum of carob research, ranging from the tree’s optimal cultivation, genetic characterization, chemical and functional properties for food production, to the definition and standardization of carob-based market products. However, the candidate for this project will be working on the bioactivity directed fractionation and characterization of bioactive components and lead compounds from carobs.
The selected candidate is expected to prepare different extracts of the carob fruit (seeds and pods) and subsequently perform sub-fractionation of bioactive carob extracts using HPLC or other means of separation. The anticancer effectiveness of different carob extracts or lead compounds will be evaluated using, among others, apoptosis assays and other basic molecular biology methodologies.
The post-doctoral researcher will also be responsible for some administrative duties including preparation of deliverable reports.
- PhD Degree in Pharmacognosy or related field
- An excellent academic record
- Previous proven laboratory experience in the extraction methodologies mentioned above is required.
- Knowledge of cell culture and basic molecular and cellular biology techniques is preferred.
- Ambition, enthusiasm and motivation, with an interest in a long-term career in research
All applications must include:
- A cover letter, that describes how the applicant meets both the selection criteria and their motivation
- Curriculum Vitae, including description of past research experience
- Name and contact details of at least two referees
- Qualified applicants will be invited for a personal interview
Terms of Employment
The position will be initiated on a year-long contract, renewable annually for up to 3 years. It will include a competitive compensation package, depending on the candidate’s qualifications and experience. The monthly salary is set between €2200- €2500, depending on the candidate’s qualifications and experience. Employee and employer contributions will be deducted from the above amount. Thirteenth (13th) salary, bonus or medical insurance coverage are not provided but the candidate can be included in the UCY health plan if he/she choose to do so.
Applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 2, 2019, with the title “Postdoc position-BlackGold-2019”.
For more information please contact the coordinator of the project Dr. Andreas I. Constantinou tel.: +357- 22892883 or email: email@example.com